Help identify this

edpdx

Joined Aug 4, 2010
I pulled a diode off of a military vehicle's horn relay. They were taped together (the diode and relay, not the relay and the vehicle ;)) but I managed to get the number off of it: 1N8377. I tried a search; but it came back with only a vague NSN number and no details.

Is this enough info to to get a replacement part. I want more of these- or at least diodes that offer the same circuit protection.

Any suggestions on what else I can use?

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
How was the diode connected to the horn?

My guess is it's nothing more than a common rectifier used in the same way we put them across relay coils to quench back EMF spikes. In that case a 1N400x, 1N54xx, 1N56XX or virtually any common rectifier is going to work.

Many horns are nothing more than a glorified buzzer - coil + interrupter contacts.

If the writing is smudged a 1N3377 exists but it's a large 200A device.

edpdx

Joined Aug 4, 2010
marshallf3, yes the design, I believe, was to keep the circuit safe when the horn circuit reopened. It was wired into the harness; but I found a website discussing use of a similar diode, 1N4003, across the relay on a BMW bike. So your answer seems to be in sync with that article and that is good enough for me. I'll pick some up. Thanks,

Ed

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
but it came back with only a vague NSN number and no details
The manufacturer was Catapillar.
NSN: 5340-01-306-8913
CAP, PROTECTIVE, DUS
Part No: 1N8377

Obviously not the part you were thinking about.

A 1N5377 is a 91V 15A zener diode. What size is the diode ...close to a 1N4xxx?