Help identify this power mosfet

bobbyrae

Joined May 14, 2009
Obviously the brand is ST. But the blast from the capacitor that went bad burned a spot on the model number! My first guess is STW11NB80. It is a TO-247 package.

For your info, it comes from an ATX PC power supply made in 2003. 480 watts.

Any other possibilities? If that's it, the next step would be to find an equivalent replacement since it is an obsolete part.

Attachments

bobbyrae

Joined May 14, 2009
Is that the only one on the board?
It's really tight in there. There are 2 heat sinks with similar components bolted onto them. At least 4 other transistors. I can't tell what they are without taking a lot of stuff out. If you are suggesting that I replace ALL of them, well... that would be VERY hard. And there is no evidence that the others are bad.

If you suggesting that there is another that would be identical... OK, that's a thought I had too, but like I say, it is so tight in there you just can't see those things without taking a lot of stuff out first. The one that looks like it might be the same is on the other side of the heat sink and right up against the main transformer. The transfomer would have to be removed and that looks like at least five solder points.

In a way I am lucky that it failed the way it did because all the failed stuff (fuse, caps, transistor) were easy to get at.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
I was just suggesting reading the number off a similar MOSFET.

The B80 is all over ST's website.

Its a 55v 80A jammie, from what I can tell.

Last edited:

bobbyrae

Joined May 14, 2009
The B80 is all over ST's website.

Its a 55v 80A jammie, from what I can tell.
Really? All I get is "no such product exists!" when I search at the ST site, So could you give a link? I found the datasheet at other places like Digikey. But it's an 800V, 11A power MOSFET, not a "jammie".

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Not a jammie you say....
Hmm.. Then I have no idea.. ;)

As for the link:
http://www.st.com/stonline/stappl/productcatalog/app?page=productSelector&search=b80

Click on that jammie! It'll take ya right to it. ;)
No, that doesn't work. for me (no cookies)

To the OP: a 2003 Power Supply won't be much use if you upgrade your motherboard or video card. You may be better off upgrading and getting speedy processor and graphics with a new power supply. A new supply that size is around $40 or less.

bobbyrae

Joined May 14, 2009

bobbyrae

Joined May 14, 2009
No, that doesn't work. for me (no cookies)

To the OP: a 2003 Power Supply won't be much use if you upgrade your motherboard or video card. You may be better off upgrading and getting speedy processor and graphics with a new power supply. A new supply that size is around $40 or less.
I didn't start this discussion to consider computer upgrade options. Of course you can always find cheapo power supplies! So what? That is not what we are talking about, OK?