Help identify component

Robin Mitchell

Joined Oct 25, 2009
Hi everyone,

Got a load of electronics from my school and i noticed this bag which says Toxic, Berylium oxide. The components appear to be smd, they have four legs coming out (looks like a cross hair). What is it???

Thanks

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
BELIEVE the warning. IT IS TOXIC. It has a very high thermal conductivity, can be used in nuclear reactor devices, microwave tubes, Gas laser Tubes, and is an ingredient in special ceramic compounds.

It causes heart problems when inhaled and is a human carcinogen!

Best thing for you to do is take it to a fire department and ask them to dispose of it for you, or tell you where such things can be taken for disposal.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I remember seeing this warning on rectifiers in the '70's. The nasty gets out if you fracture the ceramic. Just for giggles, try NOT fracturing the ceramic parts.

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
It's probably a really good RF transistor, maybe even radiation hardened. If you really want to identify it, post a good photo. In your device, the beryllium oxide is probably being used as an intermediate substrate between the die and lead frame to reduce the thermal resistance of the package. As long as you don't grind it to dust or soak it in a strong acid, you should be safe.

Robin Mitchell

Joined Oct 25, 2009
im keeping the **** away from it and there for shall not post a picture, i have hear enough!
(oh, i took two toxic stickers off the packet and stuck them on my workshop door :D)

Thank you SO MUCH for the warning guys :)
Plus very soon i shall take photos of my workshop :D!

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Do they look like the transistors in the picture below?

Those are quite expensive RF transistors.
As long you do not break or heavely scratch them you are safe.

Bertus

Attachments

Last edited:

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

The screw on the backside is to mount the transistor on a heatsink.
The screw goes THROUGH the PCB and the tabs are soldered.

I have two pictures of a mounted RF transistor:

one with the soldered transistor:

and one with the screw mounted to a heatsink (this is a small one that is mounted to a larger one in the cabinet):

Bertus

Attachments

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
Better throw away your microwave oven and cell phone while you're at it, and everything you own that's not made of wood. :rolleyes:

Come to think of it, some woods may be carcinogenic, mutagenic and/or teratogenic. :(

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Beryllium Oxide really is a category unto itself. It isn't just a little toxic, it is extremely toxic. This isn't wood. While in solid form it is safe, but don't every turn it to dust. I would give it to an electronics or HAM myself, if you don't then don't let it fall into the city dump. It is a useful part as is.