help identify capacitor value

lokeycmos

Joined Apr 3, 2009
hello, im working on a speaker crossover for someone. I need to replace a capacitor on it, but not sure of the value I need. on the cap itself it is labled as"1.8K" and "250v". but if you look at the board itself it says "4.7uf 100v" could someone please clarify this for me so I know what value to order? thanks!

Attachments

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
The lower capacitance will need a higher frequency to do what its supposed to do.

Look round the other side for any markings that look like 475 - if not, either replace with the same value you see in front of you, or replace the capacitor in *BOTH* crossovers with the same value - ie; what it says on the board.

paulktreg

Joined Jun 2, 2008
If I was to hazard a guess then I'd say it was a 1.8uF +/-10% 250V polyester capacitor?

... although it should be written 185K or 1u8K?

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
1.8 is a valid number, but I feel so stupid saying the obvious. It's either 1 uf or 1.8 uf.
Please don't throw things at me.

tubeguy

Joined Nov 3, 2012
Based on the pcb markings it looks like a 3-way x-over.
It's more likely the 4.7uf marked the pcb is correct if it is being used for the hi-pass to the HF driver (tweeter). a 1.8uf is still ~ 20 ohms at 5000hz which seems a bit high (impedance-wise).

But to be sure, it would help to post a schematic. If you don't have one it might not be hard to follow the traces and draw one.

What type tweeter or hf horn is being used?

Edit: Mr Chips - was typing etc... :)