HELP how do I wire a 3 ph 230/460 motor to a delta sys.

airidzonian

Joined May 3, 2010
I am using a ge 2hp 230/460 motor, and a ge freq. drive, the line to the shop is a delta 4 wire. My first pref. is 230, but ill take what ever works.. Im down to one [dumb as it may be} spot, which legs go to the L1, L2, L3 , and does it matter, I am concerned about the bastered leg. PLEASE HELP

Bychon

Joined Mar 12, 2010
As I see it, you hook up 3 "phase" wires to the 3 motor terminals, and if the motor runs backwards, reverse any 2 wires. I think the leftover wire is ground. Test it and see. If I'm wrong, don't follow my advice!

kkazem

Joined Jul 23, 2009
Hi,
There is another possibility for your 3-phase power and that is that it could be a WYE connection and not a DELTA + GND. Either way, if you take a DMM and measure essentially the same voltage from L1 to L2, L2 to L3, and L3 to L1, and your load only has 3 input wires, just connect your delta or WYE connection L1-source to L1-load, L2-source to L2 load, and L3-source to L3 load, and a safety ground to ther load chassis (assuming its metal), and if your power is 230VAC, and the motor is strapped for 230, then you are in business. Usually, there will be a simplified connection schematic on the ID plate of the motor, especially on GE brand. It is important to do the following for safety:
1) Make sure the motor is strapped for 230VAC or that you are connecting your 230VAC source to the 230 VAC load inputs if it has separate inputs for 230 versus 460 instead of a strapping configuration.
2) Make sure you have a safety ground connected to the motor chassis.
3) Always, use a 3-Phase circuit breaker or 3-phase fuse block rated at about 115% to 130% of the continuous motor load. Since most all motors have a very high locked-rotor current at startup of from 3 times continuous up to 10X continuous current or even more, use a time-delay fuse or breaker that can handle the startup current surge without falsely tripping all the time.

Regards,
Kamran Kazem