Help finding a part

erich_7719

Joined Oct 14, 2009
I would like to say that I have been trying to work with the manufacture with no luck, so I was hoping that I may have a little more luck, at least narrowing now my search, finding a comparable replacement part.
The Pics explain all except for size.
The MP3 Players are By GPX and are model MW240BU.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you may have,
Eric

Attachments

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
Haven't a clue where to get the part (you didn't say what the part was, so I'm assuming it's the pink plastic piece).

When I need such a part, if I can't find an easy replacement, usually the most pragmatic thing to do is to make one. While that might sound impossible, often it's not. For this piece, I'd consider making it out of some PVC or acrylic because they are easy to glue. Aluminum is another choice if a conductive part could be used.

The task is to file the needed part to shape. Because of the projections, there would be a lot of metal to remove, which is why plastic would be preferred (because the projections could be glued on). Unless the part requires a close fit (e.g., for a friction fit), then this might be doable by the average person with relatively simple tools (a vise, hacksaw, and a selection of files). But it does take care and a bit of practice -- and you will probably throw some pieces away. But it can be done. I'd estimate that piece would take me around an hour (two worst-case) of shop work to make and that's assuming I mess up one or two pieces.

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
Since it's an ergonomic slide-switch cover, made to fit those cases, your only source would be the MP3 players manufacturer. :(
Ken

erich_7719

Joined Oct 14, 2009
Thank you all. I am saddened to hear that Ken, since the manufacturer says "That part is very difficult to put on" and it is not hard since you can see from the picks.

Any ways thank you again.

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
They probably don't have it anyway since these are all mass produced in one large run in China and if warranty service is necessary they just send you a whole new one. As with so much of the electronics nowadays it's all become throwaway since it's cheaper to replace than service.

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
You can say that again; they do cary the part but it will cost me $7.50 + S/H. Where as mp3 player only cost me $15.00 to begin with.
So you expected a for-profit company to make an MP3 player that you can purchase for $15 and also maintain a taxable parts inventory for nothing. :(

This is one of those places where buying a bunch of junk parts in a box for 50 cents can come in handy...
My guess is that the chance of finding the correct custom switch cover in any $0.50 box of junk parts would be astronomical. ;)

Ken