Help find battery location on curcuit board

morrell

Joined Jan 21, 2013
I have a 'Battery needs replacing' warning on my racing pigeon electronic timing clock and the maker says they will not sell me a battery, but would charge £57 plus postage to replace it.

This particular model is no longer manufactured and is also out of guarantee. So I'm seeking help to firstly find out where the battery is located and what type it is. The image is here:-

http://www.kdwebsolutions.com/test/diester_battery.jpg

Regards,
Dave

morrell

Joined Jan 21, 2013
Thanks MrChips.

I Googled BC 2200uf printed on the blue thing and it looks like its a capicitor (not that I understand anything).

If the black circle thing is a battery, what would it be called for ordering?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
With no part number visible, do three things:

1) Measure the diameter of the black circular thing.
2) Measure the spacing of the two solder connections on the bottom side of the board.
3) Measure the voltage across the two solder connections.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
What about that large metal thing in the back? I doubt that would be a battery, but who knows what that device actually does. Maybe they are just pulling your leg and there is no battery in there? :D

Siksissk

Joined Jan 21, 2013
It looks like the two black connectors would be a power in, with the diodes, fuse, and ptc in line with them.

If your looking for a power battery, it maybe on the underside of that point of the PCB.

If its a clock battery, you may find it on the other side of the PCB. (Probably housed in a metal cage)

otherwise the silver lump next to the display, could be a very large lithium? (doubt it tho)

The black cylinder is a buzzer, the blue cylinder is a cap.

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
It would help to know if the unit is a stand-alone (no external power required) or one tht is usually connected to another power source such as a wal-wart (small power unit that plugs into the wall). If externally powered, I would start looking for a small disk type battery that,as others have suggested, would keep the clock running.

morrell

Joined Jan 21, 2013
Thanks MrChips, disfantasi and theHOFIT.

Googling Piezo Buzzer they do look like the black thing.

My next door neighbor has a small thingy for checking volts and he gets no reading on the soldered black thing.

The top casing has practically nothing in it as in the left image below and I can't see how the right image screen board lifts up to inspect below it. Unless those 4 corner black clips can be prized back, do you think that I should try prizing them back?
http://www.kdwebsolutions.com/test/diester_battery_lid_screen.jpg

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Yes moving the display away should give you no trouble. Have you checked the underside of the main board for any suspicious components?

morrell

Joined Jan 21, 2013
Kubeek there is nothing at the back of the green board other than loads of solder points. I will have a go at prizing away the screen board.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Lets recap this.
Under the main board are no components, right?
On the bottom of the display is nothing but drivers, and uderneath it are just a few parts none of which is a battery.
The only remaining things are:
- the metal box on the far end of the unit, does it have some sort of connections? what is it for?
- the lid, somthing could maybe be under the keypad, but I doubt that
- the power supply, could that have some battery in it?

anyway, what is the battery used for?

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
I gotta remember that trick..

Build in a warning after X amount of operational hours..
"Battery needs to be replaced" please send $60 USD..

and there is no battery ;)

oh wait.. Maybe it is the first blue cylinder.. Its just a "supercapacitor" battery.