Help Design

george0039

Joined Oct 15, 2008
Hello

I was thinking about another circuit I need. I have a model WWII Naval Corvette Ship. I would like to animate the main 4" deck gun.

I would like to have the gun rotate by servo control. With a few switches in the rotation travel I would like, when switch is triggered, that a RED regular brand LED flashes to simulate gun fire and at the same time I would like a sound circuit to activate like the Main 5" gun firing, both at the same time.

This circuit would be powered by the main boat battery; 6v min. - 12v max. So the circuit should be able to work on 6v - 12v. Do not worry about the servo rotation of the gun. I just need a Red LED momentary flash, like a gun barrel firing and sound effect combo circuit or two circuits.

Is this possible without me having to learn a new chip programming language since I only worked with non Pic chips.

If you can, can you show me a working circuit with ALL parts listed?

Thanks for your help.

George

Last edited:

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Is this possible without me having to learn a new chip programming language since I only worked with non Pic chips.
It is most likely possible. but rather hard to know since you haven't mentioned what chips/languages you HAVE worked with.

If you can, can you show me a working circuit with ALL parts listed?
Probably not. You are asking strangers, many of whom make $100/hr or more doing this kind of stuff professionally, so be your servent and design your entire circuit for you and provide you with a detailed bill of materials.

We are more than happy to help you learn how to do it yourself -- and do so for free -- because we are committed to helping people learn about electronics.

george0039

Joined Oct 15, 2008
Hello

Sorry If I did not explain myself clearly. I grew up with the basic chips circuits. PICs are ALL new to me and I NEVER learned how to even think about programming them.

If this could be done with the pre-pic chips and me soldering various parts to a experimentors board that would be Great!

As for a design circuit, I mean something drawn here that someone has put together on a protoboard and seen it work. A parts list is just that, parts labelled on the circuit schematic so that I can go out and buy them.

Hope someone can help me with this request.

Thanks

George

george0039

Joined Oct 15, 2008
Hello Again

Is there any chance someone might have an idea for the circuit I described for my R.C boat and would be willing to share their design? I left my wish list in the previous post.

Thanks In advance.

George

elec_mech

Joined Nov 12, 2008
I don't know how much room you've got in your ship, but if it were me, I'd use a ready-made sound module and record your desired sound (or load it as a .wav or .mp3 depending on the sound module used). Recordable greeting cards can work or you can use from here. It could be made to work off the same trigger as the LED.

For the LED, you could either have the LED stay on for however the button is pressed on your remote or use something like an edge-trigger - when the button is pressed, the LED comes on for a moment then stays off until the button is released then pressed again. Could use with a 555 if you want the LED on for the same amount of time everytime - may work with an simple RC circuit, but I'd have to test this first.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I'd be tempted to shop for an RC toy that does what you want, and just pull the guts out of it. Cheap and so much easier. I've gotta believe there is an RC tank or such out there that gives a nice sound effect and flashes a light to simulate firing.

george0039

Joined Oct 15, 2008
Hello

Thanks for the advice BUT as for the tank. I know, I am involved with 1/16 r.c tanks. The electronics are fairly expensive compared to an after market sound card and a 555 circuit to fire/flash the Red LED. The LED would have to be a bright RED one BUT I don`t know anything about their specs. Also the LED and sound would both have to be triggered at the same time even though the flash is much faster then the sound being heard.

I would trigger it with either a dedicated button on the transmitter OR most likely a few well positioned contact switches so when I command the servo to rotate the gun, as it turns, it touches the contact switch and the gun barrel LED Flashes and sound is heard.

How can that be done with a 555 and a cheap sound circuit?

Thanks for the help.

George

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
As a last resort, the SN76477N, complex sound generator can produce a gunshot using about 9 of its 28 pins. LED flash- no problem. Are there any regulated V supplies on the boat, like for receiver?? Any room for a speaker?

george0039

Joined Oct 15, 2008
Hello

I can put in any small reg. of the 78__ with a heatsink or slightly larger unit plus there is room for upto a 4" dia. speaker BUT would like to keep both as small and light weight as possible.

George

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Electronics123. com, has many recordable modules & a kit for Gun, Siren Rifleshot Bomb, including amp. & speaker # CPSSG12 $ 13.68. Might take a look.

george0039

Joined Oct 15, 2008
Hi Bernard

Thanks for the sound circuit source. I just emailed them a request for the circuit I wanted. Basically I asked them if they have a audio circuit with amplifier and speaker that I can download a sound source file from the internet into it. I don`t need multiple sound effects, just the one and the ability to trigger it. In either kit or complete form. That is what I am going with.

Now when I get a reply that is what I will buy. What about a firing circuit for the Red LED Flash that triggers both Flash and Sound from 555???

Thanks Again for Your Help/Tips.

George

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
We just need to know specs. on sound module trigger; seems that most of the modules have a switch for each sound effect-- does SW have a common ground? ect. From turret, a momentary SW to ground would be fine.

george0039

Joined Oct 15, 2008
Hi Bernard

I just got a reply from Electronices123.com, VERY helpful/friendly people. I told them that I was looking for : a audio circuit that I could load in a sound file from the internet. I wanted it to have a speaker and possibly an amplifier. I did not want multiple sounds in it.

They sent me a reply already! WOW.

USB2MV2:
http://www.electronics123.com/kits-...d-Modules/75-second-USB-recording-module.html

USB6M:
http://www.electronics123.com/kits-...d-usb-recording-module-with-light-sensor.html

Please let me know what you think, which would better be for my needs?

Thanks

George

george0039

Joined Oct 15, 2008
Hello Again

Thanks Bernard for your help and tips.

Hopefully someone will know from my first post and the links to two audio circuits from Electronics123.com how I can have both working at the same time.

George

elec_mech

Joined Nov 12, 2008
I've used something similar - I suggest the first one unless you want to control more than one sound with more than one button.

First, a few questions:

• I'm a little familiar with RC signals, but how do you intend to control the LED and sound module, specifically, what will the trigger signal look like? Will it be a 5V signal held high for a x seconds (or fraction of a second) or more like a mechanical switch, e.g., servo arm hits knife switch?
  • For every button press, do you want the LED/sound to go off once, twice, three times, etc.?
  • How long should LED flash on?
  • How long is sound (assuming recorded sound plays only once)?
  • Will LED and sound need to flash/play more than once per button press? Example, button is pressed and held for one minute - should LED/sound continuously go off while button is held down for only for previously answered number of flashes and time?
Amazing how such a simple request can have so many options, no? :)

george0039

Joined Oct 15, 2008
Hello

Yes so many things for in my mind a simple thing, ignorance is bliss.

Yes I plan on having an arm attached under the deck gun, as a servo turns the gun it`s arm pushes a switch mounted in several spots of travel.

As that switch is pressed and released, I want a momentary flash of the Red LED as well as the sound from the audio circuit to activate, both are not wanted to be on for long time, think of a cannon firing, bang/flash, don`t know the second length but I think you might have the idea of what I`m after. All this using maybe 555 circuits OR other?

If I`m missing something, ask away.

Thanks

George

george0039

Joined Oct 15, 2008
Hi blueroomelecronics

Since I know nothing about this circuit or the pic system. what would you charge me to make a circuit up for me that would do both things I setout in my opening post?

George