Help: Cost Effective AC Servo Speed Control

manc_w1ll

Joined Nov 15, 2006
Thanks for reading this.

I have a Fanuc A06B AC Servo motor. I need to control this outside of the installed control system during the machine commissioning. All I need is very rough sped control to check mechanical fits and limits.

Please will you advise on the most cost-effective option of motor controller type for this servo. Would I be forced to use the propriety Fanuc servodrive?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Will

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The Fanuc AC (RedCap) servo's use various types of encoders, but the type of commutation signal is rather proprietary, they use a 4 bit code on the encoder disc to create a pseudo sine wave.
It can be overcome, but maybe not worth it if this is just for testing purposes.
Max.

Attachments

manc_w1ll

Joined Nov 15, 2006
Thanks for the response Max. Really appreciated.
I thought that the Fanuc website would have easily accessible datasheets on this range of motors, but no.
Never having configured any Fanuc drives before, are they easy to set up for Speed control?

Thanks

Will

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
There is little chance of getting technical information from Fanuc, they make sure everything stays proprietary.
The only setup for Fanuc servo's is when integrating a full control and the method is laid out in the integration manual for the system.
Called setting the AMR-DMR.
I have used the larger motors for small spindles etc, by replacing the encoder and motor to BLDC, there is also a site where you can get a convertor for the Fanuc encoder to run on a conventional system.
Max.

Attachments