Help! Clamping circuit

ramizsabbagh

Joined Jun 23, 2011
For the following clamping circuit, the DC source is replaced with an AC source. Please, can anyone help me to understand the working of this circuit?:confused:
I attached the design of this circuit with Multisim 11.
Thank you.

Attachments

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
For some reason, you appear to have the output of XFG2 shorted to common via the "B" connection of XSC1. ( the black wire ) I don't expect a signal generator will work like that.

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
For some reason, you appear to have the output of XFG2 shorted to common via the "B" connection of XSC1. ( the black wire ) I don't expect a signal generator will work like that.
I don't think so. THe connectors on XSC1 are coaxial. XFG2 + goes to the center conductor of channel B on XSC1. The ground ring of XSC1 connects to common.

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
The cap charges (+ to -, left to right) when the diode is conducting, and can only discharge back toward 0V through the 1Meg resistor. The 10 Hz signal slews positive faster than the resistor will allow the cap to charge, so the diode becomes reverse biased until the 10Hz signal slews back down to the level where the diode again conducts. Then the cycle repeats.
You might gain some insight by probing the currents through the cap and the diode, and the voltage across the cap.

joejoenikk

Joined Nov 23, 2011
I cant get the PDF to feed, but it looks to me that the only thing your showing is the value of your scopes trigger setting. There is always some value that a series capacitor will round Correctly and there is always some value where it will run out of suppression. Your scopes trigger is set for about that point, so I'd assume that it is on automatic and you turned the dials to get a reading of some sort. Years ago, one of the guys taught me that an oscilliscope is a Voltmeter for the people who like to get paid to stare at the TV all day. He wasnt really making a joke, but there is a reason why nobody makes the fancy volt meter that we always seem to need and that is exactly it. I'm looking for a good amp to hook mine up to a RF receiver's oscillator, after looking at the price of one, hopefully someone will tell me that I've been watching too much TV because that will happen a long time before I'll be able to afford to fix a RF receiver that is worth more.

Of course, don't assume that I know anything about electronics, I joined this group because I'm a dummy and I read your post because I thought that "clamping" involved getting two voltage regulators to work in opposition.