Help choosing a multimeter

ehayashi300

Joined Jan 23, 2013
Hello Everyone

I’m new here and looking for some advice choosing a new multimeter that will last me a few years. I like Fluke’s range and have this one in mind

http://www.newark.com/fluke/fluke-117/multimeter-digital-handheld/dp/83K1721

I think it does everything I need, but just wanted to check there’s no point looking further up the range? I’m primarily going to be using it for tinkering with Arduino kits, audio amps etc.

I was originally trying to stick to a $200 budget… Is there any point shelling out more for a high precision device just in case I need one down line?

Fancier alternatives include:

Fluke 177

Fluke 87-5

http://www.newark.com/fluke/fluke-87-5/multimeter-digital-handheld-4-1/dp/96H6287
Thanks
Edward:)

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
You will be happy with the Fluke 117 that is similar to my Fluke 79III that I bought about 18 years ago and it still works perfectly.

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
Bought a Fluke 77 in 1984, for measure of tiny currents in cybernetic automation of 35mm Cameras.
It has performed flawlessly since, only being out to Fluke for repair and recertification once out of warranty, because I was a dunderhead and checked current on an Ohm scale and retarded it slightly... :rolleyes: They repaired it No charge.

Have a couple of those " Harbor Fright :D " cheapos for field and automotive troubleshooting.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Bought a Fluke 77 in 1984, for measure of tiny currents in cybernetic automation of 35mm Cameras.
It has performed flawlessly since, only being out to Fluke for repair and recertification once out of warranty, because I was a dunderhead and checked current on an Ohm scale and retarded it slightly... :rolleyes: They repaired it No charge.

Have a couple of those " Harbor Fright :D " cheapos for field and automotive troubleshooting.
The new generation from Fluke has a safety feature reminder that beeps when you turn on AMP feature but still have the anode lead plugged into the VOLT/OHM socket.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
It doesn't take a "dunderhead", it can just be someone focused more on creating something new or solving a problem more than they are focused on setting up their instrument. It is also more than an equipment issue, it is a safety issue when working at the upper voltage limits of the equipment.

I've said it many times and I will say it again, "Show me someone who has never made a mistake, and I will show you someone who doesn't get much done".

I will pay for auto-power off and "fail-safe" devices any day to keep productivity high and to keep people and equipment safe.

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
The new generation from Fluke has a safety feature reminder that beeps when you turn on AMP feature but still have the anode lead plugged into the VOLT/OHM socket.
I cheated a wee bit with my Fluke 77... I got tired of switching the leads around for different functions, so wired them all through a 4 wafer/pole 4 position rotary switch.. didn't seem to louse up the accuracy at all...
I considered a larger number of poles, so I could double up for the the ammeters for slightly beefier contacts, but I severely limit myself to small voltages / currents with the Fluke, and use the 'harbor-fright' or radioshack units to beat on... :D

Last edited: