Help... CD-Robot

shank09

Joined Jan 8, 2012
Hey guys!
I am new to this site...
I am a high school student, my class is making this robot...
my teacher told us to research about this, but we found nothing...

Then I found this site... Can anyone tell me what i have to use to accomplish this robot... i need help in
- how to time this robot to open and close the door...
- What chip should i use and how should connect it... (i dont know srry)
- making a circuit diagram...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSpMFrp2zxk

PLZ skip to 1:00... we have to do that...help me out plz

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
What contraints has your instructor placed on the materials you can use? What parts are you familiar with already?

hgmjr

shank09

Joined Jan 8, 2012
Hey, hgmjr

My instructon/teacher told us to find out how to do it...
it should work how it looks in the video, it should be able to cross the rope...

btw, he told us we might use Flip-flops or something... My teacher was very vague about this project.

i want to get a heads up on this robot...

thanks
Shank

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
So you are free to use your own design then as long as it accomplishes the end goal of traversing a wire under its own power.

hgmjr

shank09

Joined Jan 8, 2012
umm, we were thinking to use some sort of a timer, to make the door open first and then the lock to go up and hold...
the problem is how and what should we do to get the door to close, and then lock should go down... and do it all over again...

Useful info:
- There are 2 motors
- one for opening the door
- the other one was for the lazer to move up and down
- If I connect the motor the right way to the battery it opens the door, if i switch positive + and negative - the door closes.

ps. the motor is reversable
(this applies to the lazer motor too)

HI Shank,

Looking at the original project this utilises a BASIC stamp microcontroller - this is easy enough (if you have one ) to control electrical signals to the existing macinery of your CD drive - standard current of 9V is quite easliy provided as it's intended to drive RC servos - I'm a real beginner at this, but produced the following in a weekend

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCDgPt7PMfA

shank09

Joined Jan 8, 2012
We are using a 555timer connected with a 393 counter to generate the signal to drive MC14555 CMOS Demultiplexer which would drive the motors for 2 second intervals. However we have been experiencing problems with the CEMOS demultiplexer and it does not do work as we expect it to. Your help will be appreciated. Thanks

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
We are using a 555timer connected with a 393 counter to generate the signal to drive MC14555 CMOS Demultiplexer which would drive the motors for 2 second intervals. However we have been experiencing problems with the CEMOS demultiplexer and it does not do work as we expect it to. Your help will be appreciated. Thanks

You will definitely need some sort of "brake" on the front end (the door) to hold it there while the back end catches up. A simple on-off timer (done with the 555) should be enough to open and close the door. A transistor could replace the mechanical switch to open and close it, and the transistor could be controlled by the 555 output. The "brake" is really the important part, and can be done several ways. You can probably just wire up a motor to act as a clamp, or even have a simple mechanical ratchet of some kind.

It's important for you to know that we're not going to give you all the answers. We won't tell you exactly how to do it. It is your project, so you will need to do most of the thinking. Please understand that, and we'll go from there :)

Good luck!
Regards,
Der Strom

shank09

Joined Jan 8, 2012
for break and all that we are using h bridge...
that is all sorted out...but the thing is that the CMOS demultiplexer isnt wrking...
it doesnt generate the output we want it to...

Please help out a little more (about 15 students stuck, so please help)

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Please post a schematic of your current circuit, and go into much more detail about the CMOS demultiplexer issue. Include part numbers, resistance values, etc.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
for break and all that we are using h bridge...
that is all sorted out...but the thing is that the CMOS demultiplexer isnt wrking...
it doesnt generate the output we want it to...

Please help out a little more (about 15 students stuck, so please help)
You're starting to sound like you think we're required to help you. As I mentioned before, we are not here to give you the answers. We can help with individual issues you might have. Your question is way too broad though. How are we supposed to know what's wrong with the demultiplexer? You have not provided us with a schematic or a picture of your setup. You have not told us what it is doing, or even how you're using everything.

What if I asked you right now what's wrong with my firefighting robot? It uses a 393 and a 4017 to put out fires, but it's not spraying the water. What's wrong? Please help!

Would you be able to answer? That is exactly the amount of information you are giving us. Please expand your explanation and make your questions more specific. We need more information, or else there is nothing more we can do for you.