Help buying an oscilloscope

tracy747

Joined Sep 1, 2013
Does anyone know how to troubleshoot amplifiers using a fluke scopemeter 99b 100mhz portable dual chan.
This oscope is on the other end of the spectrum it has to many features - fluke doesnt really have anything on technical notes in troubleshooting amplifiers circuits using the signal generator and the digital oscope.

Need to take readings and trace signals - look for ps rail opens, shorts, check transformers, look at caps in ps, check pins voltages on tubes guitar amplifiers with high voltages as much as 600- 650vdc etc.

looking for detailed instructions, stage by stage, troubleshooting tube amplifiers would be appriated.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Does anyone know how to troubleshoot amplifiers using a fluke scopemeter 99b 100mhz portable dual chan.
This oscope is on the other end of the spectrum it has to many features - fluke doesnt really have anything on technical notes in troubleshooting amplifiers circuits using the signal generator and the digital oscope.

Need to take readings and trace signals - look for ps rail opens, shorts, check transformers, look at caps in ps, check pins voltages on tubes guitar amplifiers with high voltages as much as 600- 650vdc etc.

looking for detailed instructions, stage by stage, troubleshooting tube amplifiers would be appriated.
Please don't hijack this thread. Start your own if you have a question to ask.

bance

Joined Aug 11, 2012
Hey, tracy747

Hi-jacking threads is frowned upon in this forum, if you need help start you're own thread....

DerStrom8 you beat me to it!

adam555

Joined Aug 17, 2013
:)

I bought the probes, so I guess I'm done with this thread... unless someone else wants to continue looking for oscilloscopes; in which case you have two pretty good options today on ebay:

You have a Tektronix 2213 2-Channel 60MHz Analog Oscilloscope for just $34 + P&P
And you have another one like the one I bought for £80 + P&P.

By the way, the small Russian one sold for 71 Euros; that's around $100!!!! :eek:

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
:)

I think I'm done with this thread anyway... unless someone else wants to continue looking for oscilloscopes; in which case you have two pretty good options today on ebay:

You have a Tektronix 2213 2-Channel 60MHz Analog Oscilloscope for just $34 + P&P
And you have another one like the one I bought for £80 + P&P.

By the way, the small Russian one sold for 71 Euros; that's around $100!!!! :eek:
The thread will stay here for future reference, but it should not be used for a different topic (or question).

That Russion scope probably isn't worth $100.

Matt

adam555

Joined Aug 17, 2013
Yes, and if there's anything I can do to also help others find a scope, please ask; it would be nice if other people continue to use it.

I would definitely not pay $100 for that scope; when I doubt about buying it was just going for around $25.

adam555

Joined Aug 17, 2013
A Tektronix 2213 for $35 (or even $50) is a damn good deal for anyone getting started and looking for a scope.
It just sold for $47. I can't believe it went for half of the small Russian.

I had it on my list, and I would had bought it, but to those $47 I would had to add $85 plus at least another $25 for customs.

adam555

Joined Aug 17, 2013
Just got the oscilloscope today. Looks great, and seems to work fine; though I'm still waiting for the probes to start using it.

But what's bothering me now is the memory that someone mentioned back in this thread, which disqualified handhelds because they were bad in that aspect. Well, I don't think this one has any memory.

Austin Clark

Joined Dec 28, 2011
Just got the oscilloscope today. Looks great, and seems to work fine; though I'm still waiting for the probes to start using it.

But what's bothering me now is the memory that someone mentioned back in this thread, which disqualified handhelds because they were bad in that aspect. Well, I don't think this one has any memory.
You received an Analog scope, correct?
Those store "memory" on the phosphor screen itself.
You can't, say, capture a waveform and zoom in, out, and scroll back and forth over it with an analog scope.
This is why digital scopes are a pretty much a necessity when dealing with non-periodic waveforms, like a serial data transmission for example.

adam555

Joined Aug 17, 2013
I was just wondering if that feature was crucial; but I've been using it a day so far and for the moment I don't miss it. I guess none of the old oscilloscopes had it, and technicians did pretty well without it.

By the way, I made a couple of rudimentary cables with a piece of coaxial cable, and I understand now why you guys recommended a good pair of probes. :)

drobe011

Joined Dec 28, 2012
FWIW, I won that Tek 2213 for $47.00.

Channel 1 is off the grid and will not adjust position.

Channel 2 works ok, but image not good.

Had mold all over (which cleaned off easy).

If I can't fix it cheaply, at least I have an electron gun to play with...

-Dave

adam555

Joined Aug 17, 2013
That's really bad luck. Mine was also off by quite a bit, but it seems to be working fine now that I calibrate it.

I saw it's quite easy to find the scope's diagrams on the internet. Hope that helps to fix it.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
FWIW, I won that Tek 2213 for $47.00.

Channel 1 is off the grid and will not adjust position.

Channel 2 works ok, but image not good.

Had mold all over (which cleaned off easy).

If I can't fix it cheaply, at least I have an electron gun to play with...

-Dave
I can help you have a go at fixing your scope.
Maybe start a new thread and we'll take it from there.
Do you have a scope?:D Just kidding.
Do you have a DVM?