Help! B500K dimmer switch for MR16 120V

sumdumguy

Joined Dec 2, 2009
I apologize for my lack of knowledge but that is why I am posting here for help. I am trying to fix a chandelier. It is a standard 8 light 120v hanging lamp with a little twist. There is an MR16 120v (not low voltage/12V) light on the bottom that shines down like a flood light on the dining table. There is a simple looking dimmer/on-off rotary switch that controls this light alone and the switch burned out. It is marked B500K and that is all. I can bypass the switch and it works but at full/too bright intensity. I need to replace the dimmer switch.

I've looked online and all I find are similar looking potentiometers made for guitar volume controls. The problem is my switch has a small circuit board attached with what are probable resistors or some sort attached but this is stuff I don't know about. If I buy a regular POT and wire it to 120V straight, I'm concerned I will burn it out immediately. Also, there are 3 poles on these ones without the circuit board and I don't know what poles to connect.

One other possible solution is to buy a rotary wall mount dimmer and remove the wall plate but it may be too big to fit. The guitar ones are very close to what I have in size and shape.

Thank you for helping!

Duane P Wetick

Joined Apr 23, 2009
The wall mount dimmer switch/ pot is a good choice for your application. You don't say how the original circuit was mounted however. The typical wall mount dimmer fits in a wall mount junction box, but you can also mount it in a stand alone outdoor type junction box if you wish.

Regards, DPW

sumdumguy

Joined Dec 2, 2009
Thanks. The original dimmer was mounted in the chandelier itself in a round/doughnut shaped recessed/metal box area at the bottom of the chandelier just above the MR16 light itself. Small area to be sure...about 2-3" deep by 3-4"dia.

Duane P Wetick

Joined Apr 23, 2009
A typical dimmer circuit will fit in that space...you may have to do some slight modifications to mount the unit...but nothing major.

Hope this helps, DPW