Help adding a second switch to a 12 volt DC motor circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

kazuo77

Joined Sep 29, 2011
I'm having a bit of trouble with a project I have going on. I'm installing a key switch on the outside of my bus, so I don't have to walk around and climb over the driver seat every time i want to open the doors. (other switch is on the inside)

Right now the circuit has one double pole double throw switch that goes into what i think are two relay switch things :confused:, that are hooked up to the 12 volt DC motor that opens and closes the door. I wanted to put another switch into the circuit. (key switch for outside) I Have the switch wired up what i feel is correct. but if i hook up my switch the other switch stops working.

This is the switch I'm trying to put in.
http://www.apem.com/pdf/JD_series.pdf

I've also included what I feel to be a horrible diagram of what I've done. :)
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2100166/bus door wire diagram.gif

sorry its not the most interesting project but, I'd like to say thanks to anyone who could lend some info and help me out. Much appreciated.

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
I've also included what I feel to be a horrible diagram of what I've done. :)
;)

Just to confirm: switch 1 is the one that is installed, and switch two is the additional one?

Question: From switch 1 the orange and blue lines, is the voltage on them always ON, meaning is the voltage only being inverted when the switch is activated/deactivated? Or does it turn completely off?

If it's only inverted you can put a switch with the same function in series with this first one. see attached picture

Attachments

kazuo77

Joined Sep 29, 2011
The orange and blue lines are turned completely off. The switch must be used to have current pass through them. They both have a center off position. Left and right swith polarity. Thank you for the schematic though.
The line from the battery will be the only "active wire" is there another way I should have wired this? The switch works, it just seems like I can't get them to work wired up together.

Thank you do your reply!

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

I am closing this thread as it violates AAC policy and/or safety issues.

Quote:
6. Restricted topics. The following topics are regularly raised however are considered “off-topic” at all times and will results in Your thread being closed without question:

• Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
  • Automotive modifications
  • Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
  • LEDs to mains
  • Phone jammers
  • Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
  • Transformer-less power supplies
This comes from our Tos:
Terms of Service
There will be enough sites where automotive questions can be discussed :
Member selected automotive forums

Bertus