Hello I have a question about a component that I think is a capacitor but i am not sure can anyone identify it?

johnboyman

Joined Jun 1, 2019
Hello I have a question about these components that I think its a capacitor but I am not sure can anyone identify it? I posted a picture of it as attached. Hope you have some tips thanks.

Attachments

Last edited:

drjohsmith

Joined Dec 13, 2021
Hello I have a question about a component that I think is a capacitor but I am not sure can anyone identify it? I posted a picture of it as attached. Hope you have some tips thanks.
Its a crystal , used for timing control
probably 12 MHz,

Note there are may types of "crystals" , not compatible,

Why do you need to know ?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
amazing what does the xtal do? thanks
A quartz crystal is like a tuning fork. The slightest disturbance sets it vibrating at its natural resonant frequency.
Have you ever run a wet finger on the lip of a wine glass and make it emit a high pitched note?
The same thing happens with a quartz crystal.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Hello I have a question about these components that I think its a capacitor but I am not sure can anyone identify it? I posted a picture of it as attached. Hope you have some tips thanks.
The first picture you posted is that of a quartz crystal.
The second picture added is a crystal oscillator module. You apply power to it and the internal circuitry generates one or more frequencies derived from the built-in quartz crystal. The marking on the module states that the crystal generates 25MHz. The crystal itself might oscillate at 8.333MHz. The 25MHz is the 3rd harmonic (or 2nd overtone).