Helical Antennas

Shamaas

Joined May 17, 2013
Hi, I am somewhat new to antennas! I am using and RF receiver and Transmitter to transmit and receive data with PIC18 microcontroller! I want to plug in a helical antenna to receiver and the transmitter! Could anyone please help me out as to how I can make my own helical antenna and also the materials required if i need to make a whip antenna?
by how I mean what kind of wire i should use for them?
I mean i know I can use copper wires for a quarter wave length whip style antennas but is there any specific kind of copper wire or can i use any type for antenna purposes?
and about the helical antennas I have no idea what to use so will appreciate it if someone can help me out!

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I'm building a 160M Vertical that will be helically wound. I am using PVC pipe from a box store and flex weave from "The Wireman". The 8 radials will be 14 ga copper wire.

PRFGADGET

Joined Aug 8, 2011
A bit more information would be helpful , like what frequency range you are using ? , how long a path you expect to have for the signal to travel ? , power level ?.

PRFGADGET

Joined Aug 8, 2011
SHAMAAS:
Since you haven't posted any specifications, I'm going to assume from your other post's that your looking at the 315Mhz range.
There is a good bit of design information on Helical Antennas to be found doing a "GOOGLE" search, one site;
https://www.rac.ca/tca/2006-01 Helix Design Calculator.html
Is a java script calculator which doe's the math for you.
A "HELICAL" is an interesting antenna to play with , one thing to keep in mind is that if you are using two helical antennas to talk to each other, they both need to be either right hand or left hand twist (from the reflector) right hand has been the standard .
Another thought , the higher the frequency and the longer the "path" distance , the more critical the alignment becomes, they are not nearly as forgiving as a yagi type antenna.
Good Luck !