Height change measuring sensors

VETRIVEL MURUGAN

Joined Jul 23, 2021
Dear Team,

I need some sensor that measures the change in height without any surface reference. that means there should not be any reflective type of sensor.

anyone have suggestion?

drc_567

Joined Dec 29, 2008
... Digi-key advertised a radar module. The XM132, as I recall. There may be some range limit parameters. What are your distance requirements?

Last edited:

VETRIVEL MURUGAN

Joined Jul 23, 2021
... Digi-key advertised a radar module. The XM132, as I recall. There may be some range limit parameters. What are your distance requirements?
I am need this inside my medical device. Maximum of 10 feet variations is enough for me. from 0 to 10 feet if the position changes then that I need check either it is increase in height or decrease height

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Have you considered a MEMS accelerometer module? You would need to check its spec to see if it meets your response/resolution requirements.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I used Laser sensors for displacement, distance and position but since you mention "without any surface reference. that means there should not be any reflective type of sensor" I will assume LASER sensors are out. Depending on your configuration another option might be the use of a "string pot" also called a YoYo pot or a draw wire displacement sensor. You make no mention of budgetary constraints and the sensors I linked to are high end but much more economical flavors can be found depending on your uncertainty and environmental conditions. There are also other types of sensors to do what you wish to do.

Ron

VETRIVEL MURUGAN

Joined Jul 23, 2021
m
I used Laser sensors for displacement, distance and position but since you mention "without any surface reference. that means there should not be any reflective type of sensor" I will assume LASER sensors are out. Depending on your configuration another option might be the use of a "string pot" also called a YoYo pot or a draw wire displacement sensor. You make no mention of budgetary constraints and the sensors I linked to are high end but much more economical flavors can be found depending on your uncertainty and environmental conditions. There are also other types of sensors to do what you wish to do.

Ron
My machine is portable
I will carry that any where inside the hospital
there should not be any contact outside the machine.
some sensor like accelerometer that should give input like change in height up or down motion & how much?
this is I need to implement

Juhahoo

Joined Jun 3, 2019
Dear Team,

I need some sensor that measures the change in height without any surface reference. that means there should not be any reflective type of sensor.

anyone have suggestion?
If the accuracy needs to be millimeters, there isnt solutions unless there is reflective surface you can refer to. Inertia sensors can work but they have limitations and it becomes complex very quickly.

Last edited:

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
m

My machine is portable
I will carry that any where inside the hospital

there should not be any contact outside the machine.

What does portability and external contact with each other have to do with it?

1) Place a sensor on a telescoping pole. Measure the distance to ground. Place the object to be sensed under the sensor. Take a base measurement. Monitor for changes.

Or…

2) Place a laser distance sensing module or ultrasonic distance sensing module (Ping!) on a mounting platform that can rotate up an down. Scan for the top of the object to be measured. Continue scanning and monitor for a change. Edit: typo

Last edited:

drc_567

Joined Dec 29, 2008
... A little research suggested that the XM132 radar module was capable of determining an object at a distance between 0.5 m and 10 m. So in order to meet the required 0 to several meter specification, a separate, additional, close proximity method, such as ultrasonic ranging would necessary. Also a display of some sort would have to be added. I was not able to determine if the ranging property of the radar module could be modified. The online data was not particularly helpful.

Deleted member 115935

Joined Dec 31, 1969
a few thoughts,
you say with no "reference" as in no reflective,
could you use your own reference ?

the classic would be GPS , but you would have to use differential GPS to achieve the resolution your after.
or you could use your own local reference in the room, be that optical or other wave types, such as optical or ultrasound.