Heat Shrink / Desolder

c0de3

Joined May 1, 2009
Hi all,

I'm new and building up my supply of electronics kit. I'd like to buy a heat gun for doing heat shrink on my projects. However, I also recycle a fair amount of parts from old gear so I'd like to also be able to de-solder with the heat gun. Can I get a single gun to do both tasks, or is it two different guns? Does anyone have a suggestion for a "hobby-class" device? I'd like to stay under or around 75$ if possible.

Thanks for any tips!

- C

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
If you are interested in salvaging fine electronics (such as MOSFETs, caps, resistors) you will need the same kind of iron that you would use to build them. Heating a mass of parts tends to damage a lot of the finer components.

In my opinion this should be in the electronics chat forum. Want me to move it?

c0de3

Joined May 1, 2009
Sure, Please move. I wasn't sure it should be electronics chat so I put it here to be safe. Thanks!

I don't work with much "fine" stuff if you mean fine as in size. Mostly through hole type components. If that helps?

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
If you bought a hot air rework station you could use the hot air gun to do shrink tubing for sure.. But I wouldn't use a regular hot air gun (typically used for paint removal,etc..) to rework smt parts.
There are some cheapo hot air rework stations with a soldering iron and hot air gun on ebay for around your price range.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I bought a super cheap heat gun from Harbor Freight for around $10 on sale to use for heat shrink. They are very light duty units. It seemed to work OK for heat shrink. I tried using it for desoldering some SMT components from a scrap board, but it took too long, and the heat gun itself overheated and one of the elements broke. I fixed it, but as I mentioned, these weren't made for anything but casual, intermittent use. Better than using a lighter on the heat shrink though.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I bought a super cheap heat gun from Harbor Freight for around $10 on sale to use for heat shrink. They are very light duty units. It seemed to work OK for heat shrink. I tried using it for desoldering some SMT components from a scrap board, but it took too long, and the heat gun itself overheated and one of the elements broke. I fixed it, but as I mentioned, these weren't made for anything but casual, intermittent use. Better than using a lighter on the heat shrink though.
I have had no such issues with my HF gun. The only issue I have is I cannot concentrate the heat at a specific point. I believe they sell a kit with different shaped nozzles. I've looked for it but was never able to find it. Next time I guess I will just have to ask.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
They do sell reduction nozzles for typical heat guns that takes it down to a .375" cylinder nozzle.. I still think the hot air rework station is a better solution though.. Like the sgt said even a lighter works for shrink tubing..but its impossible to use a lighter to remove smt parts. :)

c0de3

Joined May 1, 2009
Folks,

Thanks for all the ideas/thoughts. I have a HF not too far away, 30 minutes or so, maybe I'll check that out. I can also look on ebay for the rework station. Anyone have experience with any specific unit they liked or disliked?

@spinnaker: just so I'm clear, are you saying you haven't had any gun overheating issues, or that you haven't had any issues using the gun to remove SMT components?

- C

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Folks,

@spinnaker: just so I'm clear, are you saying you haven't had any gun overheating issues, or that you haven't had any issues using the gun to remove SMT components?

- C
I have not yet used it for smt but plenty of through hole which I imagine is harder to desolder.