Heart beat monitor doubt please help

THEPUNISHER

Joined Jan 31, 2011

Hai,

Iam doing a project on Heart beat monitor.Nothing much just a project that produces sound in a speaker from the heart beat pulse..The project is without microcontrolelrs

But i wish to moddiify the project by also adding a additional counter along eith it.i.e a counter to count the no of heart beats per minute[it shud store and show values beat in a minute not more than tht]and display it in a seven segment display.

Can you tell me what i am supposed to do?

thanks in advance​

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
If you're going to build it without a microcontroller, then you have a good bit of work ahead of you.

You might look at using the 4000 series CMOS logic ICs. You'll need decade counters to keep track of the pulses, an accurate clock to measure elapsed time (perhaps using a 4060 and a crystal), a data latch to hold the counter results, a BCD to 7-segment display driver, a method to "square up" the analog pulses - you have your work cut out for you.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Could u please tell me the connections .i mean te ddiagram .?
Can you use a computer to do the calculations? There are simple pulse detectors using an IR emitter and receiver across your finger, and that output can easily be converted to audio using, for instance, the LM386 audio amp IC. An audio signal is easy to analyze with music software such as Garageband for a beats-per-minute count. Pretty tough without a computer or a microprocessor.

eloque

Joined Feb 1, 2011
is there a specific reason you dont want to use microcontrollers?
are you farmiliar with labview?you could use that as well.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
i am supposed to use analog connections...micro not allowed...Please can someone tell me the connections and its working...
This circuit will only produce sound, not count heartbeats per minute. IMHO, it's also more complicated than it needs to be but perhaps it works better than I imagine it does.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
From your E-mail:
THEPUNISHER wrote:
hai iam allowed to use only analof for my heart beat montior/.... tis is my
circuit

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

could you tell me wht extra i have to do to count the ulse in one minute?
It is not necessary nor desirable for you to send E-mails to members about your posts. This forum is not interactive; it can take many hours or even days to get a reply.

If you are limited to all analog components, then you will have lots of fun designing an analog clock and an analog counter.