Heart beat generator for recovering patient

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
I would try a small speaker (2 in) with a capacitor across it to suppress high frequencies. If suitably muffled, I think this would produce a good heartbeat effect. If the 555 duty cycle is maybe 10% it would even produce the effect of the two pulses close together of a real heartbeat.

Bob

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
You don't have a location specified, but in the US there is a retail chain called Build-A-Bear Workshop that also sells heartbeat sound modules. They have an online store as well where the heart module is available on this page:
http://www.buildabear.com/shopping/search/Accessories/_/N-sb
It's $6.00 and $2.95 shipping in USD.
That's probably the easiest way to get the desired results. What a shame they don't let you hear the heartbeat sound; all the others are available to hear. :(

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
We're struggling because the specifications are unclear. A heartbeat was mentioned, but apparently the sound (alone) of a heartbeat is inadequate. The OP wants vibration. OK, that's easy enough. But I don't understand how a buzzing cellphone motor is even remotely similar to a heartbeat.

So what does success look like?

ardorban

Joined Jan 14, 2014
Thank you, I am aware of the build a bear thing, she had that, but it is simply not punchy enough to be felt or heard! Could you possibly suggest how the metronome circuit can be adapted to be more punchy in bass output

ardorban

Joined Jan 14, 2014
Ok so the metronome circuit and then an extra capacitor across the speaker, what value? And how does one limit the duty cycle, sorry beginner.....here

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I'm picturing something a bit different - basically the same idea as a cellphone motor but with a much larger wheel that rotates much more slowly. The wheel would be heavy enough to gently shake the entire toy. Each rotation would simulate a single heartbeat. A heartbeat occurs, say, once per second and lasts maybe 1/4 or 1/3 of a second. So in my idea, the motor would be fired at ~1-2Hz and at each firing it would make a single rotation.

A simple 555 timer could handle the firing, but I don't know enough about motors to suggest how to get a single rotation each time.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Please be sure to follow very good and safe construction methods. There are many, many toys recalled each year because of fire hazards related to short circuits and wires that fatigue. Also, swallowing hazards like batteries and other small parts.

Just Don't make something that will make this girl's life worse.

Also, a CD player and a subwoofer below her crib will pop. There are all types of heartbeat mp3 files online or you can make your own.

Be safe.

ardorban

Joined Jan 14, 2014
please can someone suggest how to make the simple 555 metronome circuit give a more punchy output so you feel the beat? thank you

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
I imagine a simple microcontroller with a PWM output to a vibrator motor. The PWM output would be programmed to generate contoured "lub-dub" vibration.

Ken

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Just speculation, but I think I'd like the feel of a linear vivrator over a rotary vibrator. ' tried pulsing a rotary pager vibrator at 1.5V; feels just like a rotary vibrator, increasing V to 5V with shorter pulse feels a little better. Life??