HDL

matty204359

Joined Apr 6, 2011
Are there any good free internet resources for learning VHDL? I've tried my public library and my college library. I have found a couple books that give me a little bit on VHDL but it still leaves much to be desired. In class we are using a Altera Max II CPLD with Quartus II 12 web edition and we are using schematic diagrams to program the CPLD. I believe this is a lazy approach and want to learn an industry standard HDL. so I bought myself a Lattice machX02 CPLD to program as well, I have written an "AND" and a "OR" gate :). looking for more resources to learn VHDL or Verilog.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
Agreed, it is lazy, though, I've actually seen companies that use a visual programming language to create a FPGA/CPLD configuration!

This and this book are good resources. I think it's easier to learn Verilog first, then move on to VHDL, but that's just me....

VHDL is a very picky language and will through errors every chance it gets. Now, that said, it is my preferred HDL since there is no possible way to misinterpret what I mean when I write an expression.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
VHDL is a very picky language and will through errors every chance it gets.
And, at least in xilinx ide, it doesn't help you by telling you what exactly is the problem. Especially for stuff like missing end, semicolons and parethesis.