Having 8051 connected to home router through Ethernet - Where to start from

alphacat

Joined Jun 6, 2009
Hello.

I'd like to start basically from zero to learn how to have an 8051 Uc to communicate with home Router through an Ethernet cable.

Where shall I start from?

Since its very new to me, i'd like to receive your guidance at this first stage.

Thanks a lot.

alphacat

Joined Jun 6, 2009
Thanks fellow.

I understand that I need to purchase an ethernet module.
The Ethernet module will communicate with the 8051 Uc through SPI.

How will the Ethernet module communicate with the Router?
Will it come with a software built in, and all I'll need to do is having the Uc to use this software's API in order to communicate with the Router?

n9352527

Joined Oct 14, 2005
The ethernet module communicate with the router using, of course, ethernet protocol. TCP/IP. Depending on the router, you need the module to support either static IP address configuration, if the router does not have a DHCP server. Or a dynamic IP address configuration (DHCP), if the router supports DHCP protocol.

Then you just need to connect the router to the internet or intranet and send the data to the address of your choice. The module will have a manual on how to send/receive data through TCP/IP and on how to configure and establish TCP/IP connection.

alphacat

Joined Jun 6, 2009
Thanks.

I read the TCP IP article that beenthere mentioned here.
It was pretty much theoretical.
I'm looking for how to really learn to communicate with a Router, since i'm going to purchase an Ehternet module and integrate it with my 8051 Uc.

Could you please direct me to such manual or even a code so I could really experience it?

Thanks again.

alphacat

Joined Jun 6, 2009
Thanks i'll be reading on that.

Could you still refer me to some API or code that are used to communicate with Router?
Seeing the functions would help me understanding the concept better.

n9352527

Joined Oct 14, 2005
Alphacat, there are no standard API or functions. All the communication is done through TCP/IP. Now, get your ethernet module, read the manual and find how to set up the TCP/IP connection and send data through TCP/IP using that module. Each different module will have it's own implementation on how to do this.

alphacat

Joined Jun 6, 2009
I see.

The thing is that I need to pass my knowledge about how to communicate with router to the one in charge here before we purchase one.

As you can understand, its very abstract to me at this stage.
Could you refer me to some manual please so i'll read it and see how it works?

Thank you.

alphacat

Joined Jun 6, 2009
Hey.
I read the article on TCP/IP that beenthere refered me to.
It was very theoretical, and it still remains abstract to me.

Perhaps you could refer me to something more practical to read?