Have you been to Radio Shack lately?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Have you been to Radio Shack lately? I just got back and was pleasantly surprised at what I saw. They are now carrying ic sockets, jumper wires, solderless breadboads, trace pens and a few other goodies. I picked up some nice PCB mount terminal blocks.

Things are starting to look up.

In my town it is terrible. I was there in a mall in a bigger city and it was a little better. I'd like to see them do a bit more, and I'd stop ordering off line and spend some $$ there for sure.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
That is where this one was in a mall. They seem to carry more than the other stores.

Don't get me wrong, they still have a long way to go just to get back to the way they used to be but things are looking up.

mbohuntr

Joined Apr 6, 2009
Just came back from buying a solder sucker. RadioShack is getting better, but their IC selection is still pretty poor. I think there is more interest in electronics than there used to be. Especially now that there is better access to schematics and knowledge than ever before.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
They had a pretty good selection in the 70s. They really got away from the experimenters for a number of years, sad to say. I'm pleased that they're now starting to carry Forrest M. Mims III's "Mini-Notebooks" again.

In the old days, the guys at the counter knew a good bit about electronics. Nowadays, you will have to help them out, as most of them will have no clue about electronics. However, turnabout is fair play, Get them interested in electronics if you can, and try your best to explain what you know, as long as they seem genuinely interested.

mbohuntr

Joined Apr 6, 2009
Who cares, just keep rambling about volts, amps, circuit, cmos, and just keep rambling on and on. Then when they start to get annoyed, sit down. J/K it my radio shack you walk in and 2 or 3 guys or gals are up your butt asking what you need. Then when you walk past them and open a drawer of components they smile and say never mind.
Now that's funny!!! I walk in, the girl talking on her I-phone and staring at her nails asks me if she can help me, and when I say what I need, I get the deer in the headlights look....They can't even tell me if it will be restocked... Except the guy who sold me the digital cam for my project, He can't wait to see the final product.

@ Wookie... I still carry those books! I often refer to them if I can't get near the internet...

Last edited:

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Books 1 and 4 are at an arms reach away from me when at my bench.

I have read them cover to cover MANY, MANY times. If I use them as a "bedtime book".

I often refer to them when posting and designing too.

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
They vary by store. I talked to a regional manager not long ago and he was able to tell me which stores were actually stocking the better line of experimenter parts and which were not.

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
They had a pretty good selection in the 70s. They really got away from the experimenters for a number of years, sad to say. I'm pleased that they're now starting to carry Forrest M. Mims III's "Mini-Notebooks" again.
Back in the day, they where actually the 'goto' hobby store for electronics. But as you mentioned, they changed course to service the new consumer. I don't go, because my parts boxes are overflowing, but by chance I went in for a battery holder, and the girl that helped actually had a good dialect. I was impressed.

JerryH

Joined Jan 10, 2011
The Radio Shack's in our area are moderately stocked, but I have to give the company kudos for being able to stay profitable and able to change with the demands of the times. By this, I simply mean that the front of any Radio Shack around here is over loaded with cell phones and PDAs. I can't remember the last time I saw a PC of any kind in RS, but the trusty electronics parts are still there.

25 years ago, my town had about 10 different, locally owned electronics parts dealers you could go to for various hardware and component. Most of them were in business to support stereo & TV repair shops, but of course those are all but gone. To get components, RS is the only place left. :(

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Yea, but have you looked at the prices? Most all electrolytics, no matter how small, are $1.49 each.
It is a deal if that is all you need to complete a project or get a dead piece of equipment online. That same par is going to cost you a minimum $6+ at mouser if that is all you buy