Hatfields and McCoys

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Anyone see the wonderful documentary/drama on History? It is a brutally accurate recount of the most famous feud in american history. Brilliantly produced and entertaining, it's one of the best TV series of all times. That's my humble opinion, of course.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Already a thread for it, but yeah I thought it was good. My favorite line was. "It was them Hatfeilds! The hornswaggled me with love!" Then the trap door drops.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Already new about most of the story (ex-in-laws are Hatfield related) but didn't know the part about the McCoy lawyer cousin. To me he was responsible for it lasting so long.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Already new about most of the story (ex-in-laws are Hatfield related) but didn't know the part about the McCoy lawyer cousin. To me he was responsible for it lasting so long.
What I find funny is its considered this huge feud but it lasted 13 years and like what was it 12 people got killed? If you take that in contrast to modern times there are families that grow up in gangs from Grandpa to baby all in the bloods or crips that would put those numbers to shame. I guess may be since there was much less crime at that time it sticks out so much comapared to modern gang feuds which last 40 years +

monster_catfish

Joined Mar 17, 2011
I can't hear the Hatifeld and McCoy names without humming a few bars of that old Waylon Jennings song.

"This successful life we're livin', got us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys"

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
What I find funny is its considered this huge feud but it lasted 13 years and like what was it 12 people got killed? If you take that in contrast to modern times there are families that grow up in gangs from Grandpa to baby all in the bloods or crips that would put those numbers to shame. I guess may be since there was much less crime at that time it sticks out so much comapared to modern gang feuds which last 40 years +
Yeah, here where I live, theres a feud between two families thats been on for who knows how long or over what. No one is making it stop, just jailing them when caught.:mad:

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Thats one thing theres no shortage of. I believe theres like 1000 known direct decendents of the Hat/McC's. One things for sure, they breed like guppies. :)

Also in more recent news the Current direct decendents of the hatfields carry a syndrome or disease that has a growth on the adreniline gland. Many scientist wonder if this had anything to do with the feud and why they had such short tempers and violent tendensies.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Also in more recent news the Current direct decendents of the hatfields carry a syndrome or disease that has a growth on the adreniline gland. Many scientist wonder if this had anything to do with the feud and why they had such short tempers and violent tendensies.
Sounds like both ex brother-inlaws