Has there been a policy change for editing posts?

steveb

Joined Jul 3, 2008
Today I noticed that I can't edit some of my recent posts. In the past there has been no time limit to edit our posts. Has this rule changed? If so, what is the allowed time to edit?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
This is extremely unfortunate, since I used this feature to write my articles. Any chance it can be put back the way it was? BTW, this should have been in the Feedback and Suggestions forum.

I did not perceive it as a problem, indeed it was a most desirable feature. If this stays it has ended my ability to write articles in the forums.

jrap

Joined Jun 25, 2006
Hi guys,

Sorry I did mean to post a thread but got called away from my computer shortly after I implemented this. I came across two separate cases lately of members editing their older threads and deleting the questions that they asked. I think this goes greatly against the whole purpose and spirit of the forums. I should admit I am unsure how widespread this problem is, but was just caught of guard by it and reacted quickly without proper a proper conversation with everyone.

I have removed the setting for now. Would love to hear (and should have prior to implementation) people's opinions on the matter. Thanks all.

Rob

edit:

I should include, this option that I enabled can have certain time limits. For example, I had set it to 30 minutes before editing ability is removed.

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Hi guys,

Sorry I did mean to post a thread but got called away from my computer shortly after I implemented this. I came across two separate cases lately of members editing their older threads and deleting the questions that they asked. I think this goes greatly against the whole purpose and spirit of the forums. I should admit I am unsure how widespread this problem is, but was just caught of guard by it and reacted quickly without proper a proper conversation with everyone.

I have removed the setting for now. Would love to hear (and should have prior to implementation) people's opinions on the matter. Thanks all.

Rob

edit:

I should include, this option that I enabled can have certain time limits. For example, I had set it to 30 minutes before editing ability is removed.
When I am concerned about it (and there have been times) I quote the message. Overall I wouldn't rate it as a problem, though I admit the potential is there.

Question, were these folks under the magic number of posts to be a senior member? It might be practical to limit beginners in this way. The folks who are users (as opposed to users of the forums) probably won't be back that often, and by the time they become senior members they may have learned better habits.

The fact the forum trusts it's members with something like this is like a breath of fresh air, and uncommon in the extreme.

Another thought occurred to me, could the limited editing period be instituted in one forum only, such as the homework forum? I'm betting that is where the problem occurred.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
It would be nice if implemented on a case by case basis when there are problems. I assume that is either not possible or would entail a huge amount of additional work for the moderators.

A couple of options:

1) Can content be left editable, but attachments not?
2) Perhaps a week would be a good time limit for editing?
3) Or, maybe an edit period based on the last post in the thread. For example, 3 days after the last post?

John

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
All of those suggestions would kill my ability to write/edit articles online. I seem to be the only one who does this, but it is an extremely easy way to write, using the forum as my editor, and I can do this from any computer I happen to be on. I have several threads I've spent literally years on, coming back every couple of months (up to a year later) to add to it.

I've also written all my additions to the ebook this way, with the exception of the ESD article, and even then I depended heavily on the forum in writing it.

I'm betting the homework forum is where it is mostly happening. I suspect there is a bit of paranoia among students, knowing professors can see their work and other students leeching from their efforts (I'm speaking from their point of view).

I'm also betting that the senior members don't do this, though there have been some members who are currently banned for bad behavior that I wouldn't doubt would do it. Certain hyperargumentative members come to mind, winning an argument was like life and death to them, truth was irrelevant.

Last edited:

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
I came across two separate cases lately of members editing their older threads and deleting the questions that they asked.
I know we have had instances of students deleting their posts as soon as an answer got arrived at, but this seems to mean some other reason.

I think we may all have (I certainly have) made posts that we would rather not have out there for all to see. The public part of these forums seems to mean that thinking before posting is really more important than editing oneself to erase boo-boos.

Can the Ebook developers be able to edit forever, while other forum posts get locked as they are after some short period? That might satisfy both concerns.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
I too went :eek:. I saw a mistake I made in one of my post, but when I checked, edit button was gone. :confused: I went blank ?????......

My suggestion is..Rob should know by now that who are the real members in this forum.
Members who makes a difference. They are the ones who should have the authority to edit a post.
No one else should be able to edit their post after a few minutes, say 30 minutes or so.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
No. The posts should be editable for more than 30min.

For instance, If I post about the density of flub, and I miss-type, it will be available on google in a few minutes.

If I am informed of the mistake the next day, I can fix it. Helping to insure future searchers get the correct information. I think a 5 day limit would be fine, but less then 2 days is bad.

Just think of the poor moderators who will be inundated with "Hey, can you edit this for me" requests.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
I am a slow typer and slow thinker,I have been timed out before I finished
a post. I have learn to type better.I have some blogs that need typing
corrections. I have not bloged for months.I agree with bill ,we need to be able
to correct work,so please let the members help you monitor for now.Give time to correct our work,so it has meaning for the future.Some members need to edit
for safety,some Information they don't want to be public any more.I am sure you have noticed pictures being taken down after meeting another member in public.
This is a good forum be nice to it.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

I think the full edit should be able for senior members and Ebook developers.
The others should be limited.
This way questions of fly by users will be preserved.

Bertus

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
It looks like things are back to normal. As long as the edit function is not abused. I do not see any need to change anything

jrap

Joined Jun 25, 2006
Hi all,

Many thanks for the feedback. I think I found a solution that will work. New members (< 10 posts) will now have 60 minutes before editing ability is removed, while for all other members, nothing changes. If anyone notices any bugs (ie - you can't edit!) with the code implemented please let me know.

Cheers!

Rob

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Will the same apply to deleting postings also. Some topics have became quite cryptic because the OP has deleted the first posting