Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
I have heard that type of site is better than the beach. Knowing history of

places where people could have lost thing to fire and kinds of reasons. How do the

new detectors tell coins are underground from metal,I am surprised to hear ,

I was going to say 7 foot but I corrected my self,how far under ground are

the detectors dependable.
Metal detectors put an electromagnetic field into the earth. If that field passes over a metal object, eddy currents are set up in it, which disturbs the field, loads the coil, changes the V-I phase, etc. The circuitry detects these changes and processes them. Different metals, different shapes, etc., produce different responses. The circuitry and firmware produce different audio and/or graphic displays depending on the response. Iron is typically pretty easy to separate from other metals, but my detector (a Minelab Explorer SE) can also tell the difference between a zinc penny, a nickel, a bronze penny (dimes sound the same, unfortunately), a nickel, a quarter, and a half dollar. Deeper coins have much "noisier" responses, and this is where experience comes in. I can detect a dime or a penny to about 8" deep. Most good detectors have similar capabilities.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Do you try to find vacation maps,I think watching pbs stories with a note

pad would be interesting. The old news reels might give you some clues.

In my history work,I would see early model flatbed trucks,but not many

earth movers.You might say before earth movers and just thinking..where

did all the flood waters subside,how about that.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Loosewire, you may wish you hadn't opened this door.:D
How about this 1862 half dollar? I found it in January of last year. On Google Earth, go to 43° 40.955'N, 116° 23.218'W.
This site is in Eagle Island State Park. The park was originally the site of a prison farm which was there from 1930 to about 1971. This coin was found in the yard next to the warden's house, near the dirt road, about 7" deep.
This Seated Liberty half dollar was found about 7" deep. It obviously predates the prison. The first white man settled on Eagle Island in 1863, and it is likely that this coin was lost by him or one of his family or one of his farm hands.
That's how I define a good story. Thanks, Ron!

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Loosewire, you may wish you hadn't opened this door.:D
How about this 1862 half dollar? I found it in January of last year. On Google Earth, go to 43° 40.955'N, 116° 23.218'W.
This site is in Eagle Island State Park. The park was originally the site of a prison farm which was there from 1930 to about 1971. This coin was found in the yard next to the warden's house, near the dirt road, about 7" deep.
This Seated Liberty half dollar was found about 7" deep. It obviously predates the prison. The first white man settled on Eagle Island in 1863, and it is likely that this coin was lost by him or one of his family or one of his farm hands.
Thats cool how you can see its worn on one side heavily, and clean on the other side. You guys waiting for that new discovery show about diggers. They goto old plantation properties with metal detectors and split any finds with the property owners 50/50. Seems like they find a lot of stuff. Here in FL we only got the beaches to work which are just as fruitful. Just newer items. Any heavy metals like guns or meteorites sink quite fast into the ground since its all sand.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
@ Ron H,is the slaughter house still active in cleaning game or historical.
Its hard to get my head wrap around Idaho going near the canadian border.

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
@ Ron H,is the slaughter house still active in cleaning game or historical.
The slaughterhouse is abandoned. It had been run by prisoners, and I believe it was used for cattle and hogs.
Its hard to get my head wrap around Idaho going near the canadian border.
Where was Idaho, in your mind? A lot of people don't know where Idaho is. Some get it confused with Iowa.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
I used to follow some of the passes on the Internet,there were some cameras

on some of the passes. I will have to refresh my memory, I had some techiques

for land management,like all Gov. offices nobody don't know what the other is doing.

Is the prison still in use. Your state has the law,that you can shoot someone for

just being on your property.

Last edited:

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Yeah, it does look more worn on the obverse side. I'm not sure how that could happen.
The dark stains are tarnish from roots that had grown against the coin.
It happens with fossils and gems too. The shiny sides the bottom, figure how long it takes something to get burried it had lots of dirt polishing it on the top.