Has anyone ever heard of a microwave oven turning ON when opening the door?

MWBgen3

Joined Mar 1, 2021
I have a Samsung model SMH9207ST OTR microwave oven that is about 4 years old. Everything works fine except the mw oven now turns ON by itself when you open the door?? (Inside light and fan come on - not sure if it is microwaving). Weird! Any suggestions on what is most likely wrong would be appreciated.
I had a Kenmore that did this. Turned out to be a melted micro switch that should shut the unit off when the door opens. These are usually overloaded since the one I replaced was only rated 5A. Less chance of failure if people let the unit shut off by internal relay control before opening the door.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Adding that I have the same experience. It is the door interlock switch. I haven't fixed it because I am going to replace the oven so I can't give more insight other than to say I can influence it by tapping on the frame where the interlock resides.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
One time I got a request to rewire a microwave oven to switch on and generate the microwaves when the door was opened. It was a woman who had it in for an ex. I declined the project. But certainly the changes could be dome just by revising the connections. It would be rather dangerous.
I do get some interesting potential clients on occasion. And some of them do have ideas like that. I have no idea as to if she ever got that oven modified or not. REally, it would be simple and easy to do.