harvesting electronics in old tv's

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by timd, Jul 15, 2010.

  1. timd

    Thread Starter New Member

    Jul 15, 2010
    Hello -

    I love to havest old tv's for the caps, resistors, pots, knobs, etc.

    But, can anyone tell me what those things are that rise about 2 inches from the PCB board are? They are rectangular in shape and have a colored circle at the top. I usually build guitar pedals. Can these help me, or are they trash? Also, many have transformers. Are these audio transformers similar to the ones in the Tim Escabedo Jiwiri build?

  2. debjit625

    Well-Known Member

    Apr 17, 2010
    In a TV set their are lots of stuff ,send a photo for that 2 inches stuff,And their lots of different transformers used in TV like Audio and SMPS transformers will look alike but they are not the same.

    The best way is to send a photo and ask .
    Good Luck
  3. R!f@@

    AAC Fanatic!

    Apr 2, 2009
    In old TV's. I will never take CAPS, or POT's for spares
    Other things a OK, if not overheated
  4. tom66

    Senior Member

    May 9, 2009
    Things it could be:
    Delay line used to receive SECAM signals
    Older type of electrolytic capacitor or high voltage type
    Flyback transformer

    Send a picture and we may be able to identify it.
  5. Mike33

    AAC Fanatic!

    Feb 4, 2005
    Pots are fine to take. Resistors. Transistors if you can get them off the board without killing them. Ceramic (the little tan ones) are fine, but electrolytic caps dry out - don't bother with them. Diodes are great to snag.

    the little rectangle things are, as mentioned, probably small interstage transformers.