Harvest Alabama Hit Twice in 10 Months.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
After hurricane Andrew in Miami,Fl,the county made the building code

a hurricane model,I wonder about the codes they have in some the areas

that have been hit so hard.

bundick

Joined Dec 19, 2007
I'm just north of the Path, boy did we get some Squirrely Winds.
Ripped off a bunch more of my Barn roof.
I can't get insurance on this house because it's setting on the ground on top of treated wood. Not a real cement foundation.
But it's been here since the 40's or 50's, intact, through Tornadoes and Hurricanes.
You'd think an insurance writer would think it's a good bet!

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
They hit all around us. Smithville, 15 miles, Chattanooga,60 miles and Livingston about 40 miles away.

bundick

Joined Dec 19, 2007
Tornado's are a threat you cannot really be prepared for.
The Phenomenon is sorta almost predictable. Not quite.
Where it's gonna touch down is impossible to predict.

Having a shelter is fruitless.
When the Sirens blow, they are telling you the threat is close by and immanent.
(but it may never happen)
So you go to the shelter with enough stuff to last a few hours.

Swish out the Snakes and other wildlife, spray it down with Bug spray, and sit there...and sit there....and sit there....until finally you've had enough of the stink, humidity, and sitting, and come out to see the weather looking the same as when you went in.

For those reasons most folks go on about their business and never see it coming.

The very best Shelter would be under the S.W. corner of the House. With access from the S.W.
That way, if the storm tips you house over, or slides it away a bit, you will be closer to rescue.

Otherwise, go to the N.E. Corner of the house. Hope the heavy stuff in the House don't pile up on you.

luvv

Joined May 26, 2011
March coming in like a lion on steroids...

From OH, down has been getting pounded...

Lets hope it has the bulk of it's raging over with.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
One of these days people may connect the dots and see the connection between hurricanes and tornadoes and global warming.

Hopefully it would not be too late by then.

bundick

Joined Dec 19, 2007
I believe Global Warming is happening.
It shows in the Ice Core's that we have cycles of Warming n' Cooling. It's a fact that we are warming up.

Some cycles go further than others. There is absolutely nothing we can do about the Warming. All this Hype about Chemicals, wood burning etc is pointless as far as Global Warming is concerned.
I'm not saying anything about the Chemicals and Burning, I'm saying Global Warming is a fact and us "Umans" cant do a thing about it.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Before this goes political (and it will) I strongly suggest backing off. I dislike closing threads, lets keep it factual.

Global warming has been discussed many times here, it usually ends up with an irate moderator (not usually me) and a closed thread. I have my own personal views, and I was one of those whose thread was closed way back when before I became a moderator. So now I get to continue the tradition.

bundick

Joined Dec 19, 2007
Before this goes political (and it will) I strongly suggest backing off. I dislike closing threads, lets keep it factual.

Global warming has been discussed many times here, it usually ends up with an irate moderator (not usually me) and a closed thread. I have my own personal views, and I was one of those whose thread was closed way back when before I became a moderator. So now I get to continue the tradition.
Good Idea to close it.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Not your thread, not your call. I can moderate or edit your threads, if you like. :D

We have had quite a few in my area, but it is too soon for them. I remember standing in my front yard. I happened to look up, saw the clouds start to swirl, and then an eye opened up. Looked just like a picture of a hurricane. I watched it for a while (probably a lot less time than I remember) and it went away. A minute later a guy drove by in a truck and asked if I had seen the hook, to which I truthfully responded no, no hook cloud here. This was around 25 years ago.

Last edited:

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
How is the coverage for the effects of tornadoes / hurricanes offered by the insurance system in USA?

Besides the awful situation you have to live, do they pay you all and with that I mean even the time you could not work and the eventual benefits that you lost from your business / job?

Locally, we have seen a change in the prevailing attitude with insurance covering now the prejudice caused by hail quite common only in the mountains area but becoming more and more frequent even here. (BTW, warming IS happening, much some people try to deny it...)

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I don't think tornado's are becoming more frequent, and least I haven't seen any data that suggests this. It is as if the USA geography is designed to generate tornados though, they are common enough here. Most home owners insurance is inclusive of them, while hurricanes are treated a bit differently. Flooding is not covered, and requires special insurance from the federal government.

In the previous two cases simple constuction technique can help reduce some of the damage. In the case of a catagory 5 (the most powerful storms) very little can help except storm shelters, where you go underground and wait it out.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Bill_Marsden said:
I don't think tornado's are becoming more frequent, and least I haven't seen any data that suggests this.
Perhaps not. But it's undeniable that we've been in a period of extreem tordadic activity, especially if you live in the south. For the last 3 years, we've experienced tornados in January, an odd time for them. Last April, a good bit of Alabama was ravaged by a series of tornados, and already now in March, many of the same areas have been hit again. The March outbreaks affected a huge area, from Ohio and Illinios, to Alabama and Tennessee. The only question is, well this crazy stuff kee up.

During the middle of the last decade, it was mega-hurricanes that were keeping us on pins and needles, not it's monster storms blowing across the heartland. What's next?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Part of what I said is personal bias. When I first moved to Garland we had 3 twisters, some quite close to home. Over the last 10 or so years nada, though lots of cities in the metroplex have gotten them. From my point of view this a good thing. Tornado's can be somewhat subjective.

I remember the Jarad twister, it was a F5. It removed everything, then vacuumed the mess afterwards. All that was left was concrete squares where the foundations were, and the only people who survived are those who broke the rules and ran for it.