Harmonics

extremeads1

Joined Feb 10, 2007
I read in a reference book by Schuler/Fowler about Harmonics.
they had given that we can generate any waveform adding two sine waves.
they have constructed a sawtooth signal using the odd & even with fundamental harmonics.
my question is have they constructed it by vector addition of the harmonics or any other method.(they have taken fundamental to 9th harmonic )
can you please explain the method they must have used for constructing the saw tooth signal.

bloguetronica

Joined Apr 27, 2007
I read in a reference book by Schuler/Fowler about Harmonics.
they had given that we can generate any waveform adding two sine waves.
they have constructed a sawtooth signal using the odd & even with fundamental harmonics.
my question is have they constructed it by vector addition of the harmonics or any other method.(they have taken fundamental to 9th harmonic )
can you please explain the method they must have used for constructing the saw tooth signal.
The theory is correct. You can build any waveform by superimposing two or more sinusoidal waves with the same harmonics. You can see Fourier series to give an insight: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourier_series

Actually, a good analogy would be using Taylor series to aproach a polynomial fuction within a range.

extremeads1

Joined Feb 10, 2007
thanx sir for your instant response.
sir they have added all the harmonics in what sense i mean to say
they have added the waveforms at particular instantsand then constructed the saw tooth signal or is there any other way to understand the addition of the harmonics

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
They have summed up (algebraically) an infinite number of periodic functions, each of which has a defined value from minus infinity to plus infinity. In such a Fourier summation some of the coefficients are allowed to be zero. Often, either all of the coefficients for even or odd harmaonics will vanish.