Hardware suggestions for RFID in car project

keyserfreaknsoze

Joined May 30, 2010
Hello all. I am an absolute novice when it comes to electronics in general, but am working on an RFID project. I am looking for any suggestions on hardware that would work in this project. The only real requirement is that the hardware be durable.

The system would be comprised of a RFID tag, which would be worn by the driver or front passenger of a vehicle. Once inside the vehicle the tag would need to be read by an RFID receiver (I need a radius of at least a few feet-like standing in the open door). The microcontroller would need to be powered by the car (only when the key is turned on) and would only need to activate two relays in the car while the tag is present. These relays would allow two switches (already in the vehicle) to function while the key is on and the wearer of the tag is present. Once the tag is outside the cab of the vehicle the two switches would no longer function.

Aside from specific hardware, my two biggest unknowns are how to get the vehicle's power supply to power the microcontroller safely, and if I can accomplish this system with a passive tag (2-3' radius) or if I would need to have a battery powered tag (I would prefer the former).

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you.

keyserfreaknsoze

Joined May 30, 2010
Thank you BMORSE for your response. Would an active RFID tag increase the range? Also, when you say expensive for a higher powered reader, do you have any concept of price, or maybe know of a website that sells that type?