Hantek 1008C just purchased and I am having several problems. Looking for help

ELECTRONMINI

Joined Nov 25, 2019
Hi, just bought a Hantek 1008C for automobile diagnostics and I am having several problems that I would like to get some help with.

First, I have read for about a month a lot about Oscilloscopes and their use. I an not an electronics Engineer but a retired Mechanical Engineer with enough interest in electricity and electronics to be able to understand how these function and limit of the instruments.
I also have an very Old analog Tektronix 465M purchased in eBay as a bargain years ago, that I thought would do the work, but apparently needs some repair or at least a major calibration and I do not have the equipment required as I have studied its manual.

I am working on a 1995 Toyota 4Runner of my neighbor and have installed the Hantek software version 10, the manual and installation guide. Both are difficult to say the least since it is probably written by a Chinese to English translator. Also the content of some functions like Record/Play are 90% incomplete in detail.
I also purchased attenuator 1010 wich does a 10,000/1 and 20:1 attenuator for the Hantek. Also have the DC Clamp CC650 with two ranges: 60 and 600 amps.

I installed the software in a DELL Laptop Latitude D630 running windows 8.1 and also on HP pavilion with windows XP-Pro. Both seem to have problems that sometimes the software freezes of does not seem repeatable with the same secondary ignition probe. I have read and downloaded fromYouTube and other places lots of related material and I think I and understand clearly how to set parameters and what to expect at the screen. Both in therms of time and amplitudes.

Would like to be able to chat with someone familiar with this Scope that maybe can pinpoint where are the errors or malfunctions.
I can post some of the secondary ignition captures as JPG.
Thanks

rsjsouza

Joined Apr 21, 2014
Unfortunately I am not familiar with this oscilloscope, only with Hantek's reputation in SW development.

At any rate, I am not sure if you saw this video of a guy that is using the same oscilloscope to look at ignition waveforms.

Perhaps give the Openhantek software below a try? Despite it does not seem to support your model, it may have enough similarities that it may be worth a shot.
https://github.com/OpenHantek/openhantek

drc_567

Joined Dec 29, 2008
Hi ...
I owned a 1998 Toyota Camry for several years. The comment about ignition problems recalled a relevant problem with some of the head and block ground wires. It seems that corrosion, vibration, engine heat, missing ground straps and whatever else sometimes created poor conductivity in the ignition circuit. I suggest checking and verifying that the engine ground straps are present and making efficient electrical contact. That would be described as one bright and shiny metal surface touching another. ... Not to mention the battery cable clamps themselves.

... another thought:
Are you trying to see if the plug firing confirmation signal is present following the plug firing signal? ... Are you reading any relevant engine malfunction codes ... or does that model year have that diagnostic mode?

Last edited:

ELECTRONMINI

Joined Nov 25, 2019
Hi ...
I owned a 1998 Toyota Camry for several years. The comment about ignition problems recalled a relevant problem with some of the head and block ground wires. It seems that corrosion, vibration, engine heat, missing ground straps and whatever else sometimes created poor conductivity in the ignition circuit. I suggest checking and verifying that the engine ground straps are present and making efficient electrical contact. That would be described as one bright and shiny metal surface touching another. ... Not to mention the battery cable clamps themselves.

... another thought:
Are you trying to see if the plug firing confirmation signal is present following the plug firing signal? ... Are you reading any relevant engine malfunction codes ... or does that model year have that diagnostic mode?
Thanks for you replay. I have the same thought about ground and also I saw in YouTube a specific mentioning about checking the Positive and engative to ground to endure a good connection. I did the ground by turning everything I could find ON an reading miliamps for battery to engine ground. The same for Positive at battery and gorund. Both seems to be just very few mills amps apart.

I think my laptops are the problem or I may have damaged them with more input voltage they could take because at one time Windows 8.1 and XP-Pro went on a closing the laptops and sending messages of error to Microsoft.

The software is not intuitive to me, the translation from Chinese to English is not a good one to me, and the equipment manual is practically not helping to learn the details of the software.

My lack of experience with Oscilloscopes is not either a plus, but I will continue until get results. A discussion with someone that owns this model probably would be the most practical solution. I could pass to others what I already resolved, but there is a long learning curve trying to decipher the intended path from the developer.
People doing reviews in YouTube have been mainly just scratching the surfaces and missing some of the obvious problems.

ELECTRONMINI

Joined Nov 25, 2019
Unfortunately I am not familiar with this oscilloscope, only with Hantek's reputation in SW development.

At any rate, I am not sure if you saw this video of a guy that is using the same oscilloscope to look at ignition waveforms.

Perhaps give the Openhantek software below a try? Despite it does not seem to support your model, it may have enough similarities that it may be worth a shot.
https://github.com/OpenHantek/openhantek
Thanks you rsjsouza, very interesting to read that but I see that is directed to a more complex/powerful Hantek device the:6022 model.
Their talk goes well over y head since I have just done many years ago only programed in FORTRAN while in school and as a hobby using C language before the C++ came out. Several years ago, more than 28.

I guess I need to join some of the gurus in YouTube that have private/paid channels and maybe someone in their forums can be of help, specially if in my Texas area.
The Hantek Customer Support I can tell they are not fully conversant while utilizing email and probably the company is focusing their efforts on other areas. Their email answers are polite and reasonable whole approach, but for example they seem no to know that the software and manual have a lot missing that needs improving.
Probably people has figured out a way to get though it and live with what they get. Another possible answer is I am the problem since I am in my early eighties and just got a month or two digging into how to use these devices for car diagnostics.
I appreciate your response and the time you took to provide me with your feedback.
I could try to see what my old Tektronix 465M could do here, but advise has been that will be probably easy to make a mistake and fry the Scope quickly.
My Textronix would also need at least a full calibration to determine its functionality and I do not have the equipment neither the experience. It would take for me to learn a lot more than I know at this time
Thanks for you time and effort.

drc_567

Joined Dec 29, 2008
... noted.
Just a word of caution regarding scope usage ... Be extremely careful when observing any type of AC voltage such as house wiring. A normal scope, powered from AC power, not the battery powered scope type, has its ground, that is the clip lead as well as the chassis BNC ground connected in a direct manner to earth mains ground and requires scrutiny when measuring any AC voltage. The subject is discussed in detail elsewhere in this forum.

Last edited:

rsjsouza

Joined Apr 21, 2014
I could try to see what my old Tektronix 465M could do here, but advise has been that will be probably easy to make a mistake and fry the Scope quickly.
My Textronix would also need at least a full calibration to determine its functionality and I do not have the equipment neither the experience. It would take for me to learn a lot more than I know at this time
Thanks for you time and effort.
You are most welcome!

As for the Tektronix, the nominal 12V levels would not be enough to fry tour oscilloscope, but you always need to be careful if you measure two different points in the circuit, as the alligator clip is at the same potential on both inputs. Imagine putting channel 1's clip to the chassis and channel 2's clip to the battery + terminal? That would be a pyrotechnic spectacle.

However, the thousands of volts of the spark coil would definitely fry your oscilloscope independently of the clip positioning. I wouldn't put the probes anywhere near that.

Good luck in your quest!

CROSSBOLT

Joined Dec 9, 2008
Recalling the CRT "ignition analyzers" of yesteryear, the probe for high voltage ignition secondary was a split-tubing clamp on the plug and coil wires. Sorta like an alligator clip with lips! In reality, was a capacitive connection to the high voltage wire. Even the late 90's ignitions were CDI, Capacitive Discharge Ignition, with secondary votages in the range of 50 to 60,000 volts at shortwave frequency.

guelmisala

Joined Jul 26, 2020
Hi, just bought a Hantek 1008C for automobile diagnostics and I am having several problems that I would like to get some help with.

First, I have read for about a month a lot about Oscilloscopes and their use. I an not an electronics Engineer but a retired Mechanical Engineer with enough interest in electricity and electronics to be able to understand how these function and limit of the instruments.
I also have an very Old analog Tektronix 465M purchased in eBay as a bargain years ago, that I thought would do the work, but apparently needs some repair or at least a major calibration and I do not have the equipment required as I have studied its manual.

Estoy trabajando en un Toyota 4Runner 1995 de mi vecino y he instalado el software Hantek versión 10, el manual y la guía de instalación. Ambos son difíciles de decir, ya que probablemente esté escrito por un traductor de chino a inglés. Además, el contenido de algunas funciones como Grabar / Reproducir está 90% incompleto en detalle.
También compré el atenuador 1010 que hace un atenuador 10,000 / 1 y 20: 1 para el Hantek. También tenga el DC Clamp CC650 con dos rangos: 60 y 600 amperios.

Instalé el software en un DELL Laptop Latitude D630 con Windows 8.1 y también en el pabellón HP con Windows XP-Pro. Ambos parecen tener problemas que a veces el software se congela no parece repetible con la misma sonda de encendido secundaria. He leído y descargado de YouTube y de otros lugares una gran cantidad de material relacionado y creo que entiendo claramente cómo configurar los parámetros y qué esperar en la pantalla. Tanto en términos de tiempo como de amplitudes.

Me gustaría poder chatear con alguien familiarizado con este Alcance que tal vez pueda determinar dónde están los errores o fallas de funcionamiento.
Puedo publicar algunas de las capturas de encendido secundario como JPG.
Gracias
[/CITAR]
tengo el mismo problema si logras solucionar comparte la solución. porfavor. guelmisalazar@gmail.com