Handling SCR's outputs

Status
Not open for further replies.

jj_alukkas

Joined Jan 8, 2009
Hi all,

Looking in my old stuffs, I found a Chinese rice light(serial set) circuit board in working condition. I found 2 PCR406 devices and expected it to be transistors and when I googled for datasheet, came to find that they were SCR's.. They control the pattern on the 2 lines of tiny bulbs. These 2 SCR's are controlled by a chip which has no id as its the usual Chinese black drop type covered custom chip. I checked out the datasheet and found the SCR's to handle 400v max and 800mA rating.. I'm new with SCR's, so could somebody help me how its different from transistors? I read abt it on Wikipedia and all, but what makes it more powerful over transistors? Also can I run a couple of led's on the output lines instead of those bulbs? I read its output is current limited. What voltage and current should I expect? I have made a sketch of details of all what I could find on the board.

Thanks You.

Attachments

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
SCR's are pretty well covered on this page in our E-book:
http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_3/chpt_7/5.html
Back up to the Schockley diode to get more of an intro.

Unfortunately, the circuit that you have shown does not use a transformer to isolate from mains power; therefore it is not safe and we cannot discuss it on the forum.

There is no way to make it safe without using a transformer to isolate it from mains power.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
I'm afraid we can't help with this particular circuit, as it runs off the line with no isolation, making it very dangerous to use -
6. Restricted topics. The following topics are regularly raised however are considered "off-topic" at all times and will results in Your thread being closed without question:

• Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
  • Automotive modifications
  • Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
  • LEDs to mains
  • Phone jammers
  • Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
  • Transformer-less power supplies
We can give you a link to learn about SCR's - http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_3/chpt_7/5.html

Status
Not open for further replies.