Hand scanner (portable)

krebma

Joined Oct 25, 2013
Hi to every one i wasn't sure if this was the place to ask... But anyways i would like to get some opinion from the experts i have a hand scanner and u might know better that it works with infrared ( i think thats how it written) like the same system as old style ball mouses... I want to cancel that out and replace it so it works constantly... I hope i could explain it and waiting for your advises.

Thanking from before hand.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I can't imagine what you're talking about. Maybe a photo would help.

Most IR mouses shine very brightly until they "see" the reflected signal. Then they dial it down to save power. If you blind it so it can't see the reflected signal, it will continue to shine brightly. I have no idea if this helps.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I think I understand now. You want "continuous" scanning, without needing the wheels to turn? Maybe if you explain why you want that, someone will have another idea.

I really can't help but hopefully someone here that can, will come along soon.

I guess the device is meant to use the turning of the wheel as a measure of distance, so that a scanned page is assembled by a series of horizontal strips. My guess is that proper control of the software driver might allow you to do exactly what you want without changing the hardware. But that is a useless strategy unless there's an open source driver for your scanner, and unless you know what to do with it.

krebma

Joined Oct 25, 2013
Thanks alot wayneh
The scanner actually works with a button u press starts and as u said the wheel turns but the wheels actually makes the scanning light work not to measure distance because i can scan continously until i press scan off button again.
Reason is when i scan my books the wheel sometimes hit a bump and wont turn and the scan is not the best...
I know the explaning is not the best... Sorry...

Ramussons

Joined May 3, 2013
Thanks alot wayneh
The scanner actually works with a button u press starts and as u said the wheel turns but the wheels actually makes the scanning light work not to measure distance because i can scan continously until i press scan off button again.
Reason is when i scan my books the wheel sometimes hit a bump and wont turn and the scan is not the best...
I know the explaning is not the best... Sorry...

Would'nt it be simpler to take photos with a digital camera? - just a thought.

Ramesh

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
The wheel is an integral part of the design.
Yes, the wheel measures distance in the sense that it tells the scanner when to scan the next row of dots.

krebma

Joined Oct 25, 2013
Ramesh, i know what u mean but at the moment can not afford a digital camera.. Thanks for the tip.

Thanks to you MrChips too.. I thought i could replace something else with the ir led and ir reciever..