Ham certification test?

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Ok , I am getting pretty good with electronics , rf ,...etc

And I was wondering how many questions are their on a typical ham exam.
I am think about getting ham certified and have been doing practice exams that are about 35 question per practice exam.
Their is general and technical exams but I can do most of them getting most of the questions correct.

Curious how much certification will cost?

Also what other electronic/radio certification test are out their and worth getting certified? wondering also what electronics test is the hardest one of all of these certification tested out their?

Thanks

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
If you want hands on with RF, yes.

I haven't priced it lately, but it is extemely reasonable. If there is a amature radio club in the area you can also get lessons fairly cheaply.

Mostly it is a matter of learning government regs.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
There are 3 clases of amateur radio license
Technician : 35 mutiple choice questions
General : 35 multiple choice questions
Extra : 50 multiple choice questions

The tests cover electronic theory, RF safety, regulations (47 CFR Part 97), operating practice and procedures, and public service.

There are online study guides and practice tests
Tests are conducted by Volunteer Examiners (VE) approximately once a month and the cost is in the neighborhood of USD $14.00 Checkout arrl.org for details in your area.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

As flat5 already asked, what country are you in?
Each country can have differenet regulations.

Greetings,
Bertus

PS I did the exam in 1977 in Holland.

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Mass US

I am also wondering is taking the classes maditory because I have been doing alot of the practice exams at all the levels pretty easily.

Also I am wondering of the electronics certification exams out their which one is the hardest and most want to achieve/pass?

Is their some type of list out their that lists all the really good certification for electronics out thier to get.... because I am getting really really good with this stuff and may want to try some of these as a challenge and to look good on a resume as well.

Note I have been computer programmer/software/hardware engineer and I have a masters in pure mathematics and have taught some courses for a few years in math/computer science at the university.
Now I am really getting good with electronics , and electrical engineering I don't have time to go back to school for another degree so I was hoping I can start working my way into the electronics/electrical engineering field by starting to get certified in things... But I don't know what I should get certified in. I have taking practice exams on a ton of different topics in these fields and usually pass every one of them in the 80% to 100% range.

Thanks for any help
But one thing I do want to do is get Haming certified
Note I already have certifications
in java , microsoft , A+ , CISCO Networking ,....etc
So I am more about getting certified in electrical for house wiring, electronics for circuit/device building /rf applications /fiber optics / telecommunications ,....ect

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
Ok , I am getting pretty good with electronics , rf ,...etc

And I was wondering how many questions are their on a typical ham exam.
I am think about getting ham certified and have been doing practice exams that are about 35 question per practice exam.
Their is general and technical exams but I can do most of them getting most of the questions correct.

Curious how much certification will cost?

Also what other electronic/radio certification test are out their and worth getting certified? wondering also what electronics test is the hardest one of all of these certification tested out their?

Thanks
Ham exams have been administered by VE (volunteer examiner) teams for the past 25 years. There is no fee at all for many locations, (including Fairbanks. :) )

Just be sure you're prepared before taking the test. VE's take a lot of time out of their lives to administer these tests, and nothings more annoying than unprepared applicants. (I know....I've been a VE since the beginning of the program!)

p.s. DO learn morse code. It's not required any more for any class of test, but there's still tons of CW activity, now that we have some sunspots again.

eric

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Other then the morse code and knowing all the stuff for the test ...
And getting a 100%'s on the practice exams is their anything I need to know when I go to take the test like do I have to bring to forms of I id ,...etc
Is their anything that I should know before the test or after the test
(pre or post the test info)
Would they have me fill out a certain form that I need to have some info on....

Thanks

KenH

Joined Feb 4, 2010
You can also take a practice test on QRZ.com - it's the exact same test allowing you to have a good idea if you're ready for the "real" test yet.

73 de Ken H>

flat5

Joined Nov 13, 2008
I guess you should bring a passport and proof of where you live.
You ask about other exams. When I got my advanced class ham license in the 1970s I also grabbed a second class commercial radio license.