Halloween Flash idea

npatella

Joined Oct 29, 2011
Hi,

Any non SA suggestions about the costume idea.

I am trying to make a costume.
I am in the process of making a vest that contains 50 disposable flash cameras. Each camera uses 1 AA battery for the flash. My question is what would be the best (Safest) power source. parallel wiring of 50 Alkaline batteries creates 1.5V and 2.6a x 50=130A - - - I do not want to win the Darwin Award.
Is there a quicker way (Safe) to power these flashes or should I attach each AA battery to each flash and wire a single firing mechanism.
Thank you for any solution that keeps me from being 6ft under this Halloween.

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
NO. I took them all out.

and you are going to strap these onto yourself? :eek: If that vest gets wet, you could potentially be electrocuted, even just from mere sweating.
You do know that these flash circuits contain very dangerous levels of electricity (up to 300 VDC) stored in that large capacitor that could potentially do some harm to you and/or others right?

npatella

Joined Oct 29, 2011
Yea . . I was thinking after assembling the vest masking it off and spraying it with a rubber coating. . You know the more I think about it . . the more it is looking like a not so good idea to wear this thing. The idea was to be an evangelist and show people the light. If your advise is to not do it . . . I will probably to go with that.

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
Yea . . I was thinking after assembling the vest masking it off and spraying it with a rubber coating. . You know the more I think about it . . the more it is looking like a not so good idea to wear this thing. The idea was to be an evangelist and show people the light. If your advise is to not do it . . . I will probably to go with that.
Well, when it comes to safety, safety should always be the first consideration, especially when dealing with such high voltages....... The idea for the costume is great, but there has to be a better way to do it without risking injury...... how about maybe some bright LED flashers they use on bicycles?? Just remove the red lens and you should have some pretty bright white LED's, Those are low power and not so dangerous.....

Where are you located? If I knew that maybe I could have a better way of helping you find an alternative....

maybe other forum members have an idea and could chime in.....

npatella

Joined Oct 29, 2011
Hey . . . thanks so much for your input. I will probably save up and go that route. I got the flashes for free so that is why I was thinking of using them.

Have a good one!!

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009