hall effect and coil driver

dodgyboots

Joined Jan 3, 2013
hi , i would like to replace the points on my 1929 vtwin harley davidson that i have just got running after 23 years , i would like to keep the original coil , i expect the condenser would be needed as well , i cant find anyone who makes a kit for my model so i would like to try to build my own , the existing system has a simple distributor shaft with a cam shape pushing a single set of points which open the points twice every rev at 0 degrees and again at 315 degrees of crank angle , this inturn cuts the circuit to the twin coil , the condenser is connected in the normal way accross the points.
so both plugs get a hit twice on each rev, one on power stroke and one on exhaust stroke , so the leads go straight from coil to plug not through distributor,
so to remove the points and fit a hall effect sensor is where i am going out of my field a bit , i am a rig electrician so i have some basic understanding ,but electronics is very hard for me ,
so correct me if i am wrong ,
if i have a hall effect sensor mounted and trigger points sorted , would the next part be to have the trigger wire from the sensor to drive a transistor type switch which would switch the coil /condenser .
if yes what type could handle the high back emf at this point without causing damage to switch?
a brand and part number for hallefect sensor and switch would be great ,
thanks to any positive help ,shane

spankey666

Joined Nov 30, 2011
fit an ordinary induction pickup and use a zeeltronic ignition box. this is how i have done hundreds of retrofit systems. you wont get much help on here as automotive questions are banned :(