Hacking fairy lights to work on a 12v circuit

tsf

Joined Dec 10, 2009
I have a 12v outdoor lighting system, running off a 120w 12v transformer. It is the Ring "Select-a-light" system.

I would like to add some LED fairy lights to this lighting circuit, but I can't find any fairy lights that use a 12v input.

I've been looking at the specs of a lot of fairy lights, and they tend to use 3v LEDs and 24v transformers, with a total power of 7-10w.

I don't really know any electronics theory, so please forgive my questions:

1) Can I convert these 24V fairy lights to 12V somehow? (eg string together 2 sets in serial!)
3) Or is it possible to 'step up' the existing circuit to 24v using something like this:

http://www.m-99.co.uk/Electrical/12v_Car_to_24v_Stepup_Converte/12v_car_to_24v_stepup_converte.html

3) or do you know of any 12v LED fairy lights?

Any help appreciated!
Many thanks

Mike33

Joined Feb 4, 2005
Personally, I'd do 1 of 2 things. 1) get the right stuff for the 24v lights (transformer), and put it on its own circuit. Or 2) Make something (a voltage doubler, for instance) that will tap off of your existing transformer and run the new lights in parallel to your existing ones. Option 1 is simpler, easier, and won't affect your home insurance, Ha ha!