HackerSpaces and DIY community

count_volta

Joined Feb 4, 2009
Hey guys, I have not been here for a while. Finally remembered about the forum which helped me so many times, with school and with hobbies.

About 5 months ago I joined my local hacker-space. I have never had so much fun in my life. We build stuff together, we teach classes, we go to Maker Fairs and show off our stuff. We participate in the Power Wheels racing series. I went to 2 maker fairs Detroit and New York this past summer. We also have a small maker fair in Pittsburgh which should be getting bigger over the
next few years.

How many people know about Hacker-Spaces and the DIY Maker movement? Chances are there is a hacker space in your city. Its a growing movement.

Here is the mission statement of my hacker space so you get a general idea what its about:

A non-profit, community-based workshop that allows members to come together and share skills & tools to pursue creative projects. Our membership is open to everyone but typically comprises inventors, engineers, scientists, programmers, hobbyists, artists, roboteers, families, entrepreneurs, and arts and crafts enthusiasts. Our focus is on collaboration, education, and community outreach. We’re a benevolent group and do not promote or condone illegal activities. The term “hacking” is used in a benign sense, in the context of deconstructing and understanding objects and systems and re-purposing existing materials for new and innovative uses.

I had no idea that there was a hacker space in my city. Who else knows about this?

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Thanks Count. I know about maker community, though I haven't participated, save for reading thier literature and sometimes doing projects with their ideas in mind.

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
We have one here in Lansinng Michigan, but they prefer to called "makers", our maker space is called Lansing Makers Network, they do same things as your hacker space does, I am not a member but I know quite a few memebers there, I still colaborate with them on certain pprojects, I just never seen it necessary to pay for a membership just to acess tools that they have, which I have acess to anyway in my shop, and my equipment is beyond hobby level. It is still a cool place to hang out with people of like minds, gives people like us a place to be "us".

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I know of one Makerspace here in Athens and there may be a few others. I don't know anyone who participates. It's not a big thing in Greece yet.

I know that a Makerspace will open soon near me. I may get in on that one.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
the question is how much opportuniy to use the hackerspace will you really have after a while?

It may depend on the technology you are using.

But if you are bound to a schedule of some hours/some days a week, it won't allow to make much progress.

NetDoc

Joined Jan 6, 2014
I just found out about it and am wading through Make: Electronics. You can find my blog about that here: http://2sb.us/474501

There's one hacker spacetrying to open up in Miami, which will be over an hour away from here in Key Largo. I have a fair number of tools from a welder to all sorts of woodworking equipment, but nothing like a CNC mill or lathe. I really need/want access to that. I would join in a heartbeat if it gave me any type of access to that and/or a 3D printer.

I found out about by reading Zero to Maker by David Lang back in December. It's an OK book, but I felt he was just trying to increase his word count at the very end.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
@ NetDoc ,you are at Key Largo ,I am in Fort Lauderdale , looking forward to meeting

you. I have a lot of stuff ,would like to see something to happen in Ft.Lauderdale.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
If you have time and need friendship it may be worth your time,$25.00 dollars to join

group projects that move slow. The photo gallery says alot about slow motion.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
I watch your post and learn a lot from college education. When I hear bagpipes

I think of you north country guys. A bagpipe story ,police horses are trained to

be tuned in to noise. I was at a parade and when they started playing the bagpipes

the horses was out control from the bagpipes.