Hacked ...

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
www.electronicspoint.com forum was hacked today ... according to their home page where the hacker is taking credit as of 7:35pm Central Time (US).

This posting is not to get you to go there, but if anyone has the email address of one of their moderators or admin, it would be nice to pass the word to ensure they know there is a problem.

I know a few of the members here hang out at multiple electronics forums.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Another forum site I visited was also hacked by the same individual or group. I emailed the owner last night an this morning, his page announcing the site was under maintenance was redirected to another page announcing Syria's redresses against the U.S.

Delaj

Joined Aug 12, 2013
Seems to be happening quite a bit lately. Not just with Syria stuff, a lot of the hacking is pretty immature and pointless. I guess kids on a power trip or whatever, makes like more difficult for others though.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
All the aforementioned forums use the same forum software as this one.

I believe this is the most popular forum software out there, so that alone puts a target on it.

Disruptive behavior is part of the new normal.

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012
Another forum site I visited was also hacked by the same individual or group. I emailed the owner last night an this morning, his page announcing the site was under maintenance was redirected to another page announcing Syria's redresses against the U.S.

If we stop and think about this, the redirection to anything about Syria, could be another False Flag attack; to make damn sure that "Syrian hackers", are blamed.

Several times this last 2 weeks, I have read about this possibility. (Especially with the soldiers hiding behind cardboard signs)......

Then, some people say that Syria could never pull off these web hacks, because they are not good enough.:confused:

It wasn't that long ago, that Iraq was being blamed for similar attacks.;)

And, worse...

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Yes, I agree the possibility of a false flag attack, however, how many have been at a university here in the states.

I don't think we anyone should believe the Syrians are "not good enough" to hack. Someone in their employ could be great hackers. I just don't know.

It wasn't long ago when people didn't think IRAN had the capability of building a nuclear device ... it was something they didn't have to think about for a few more decades, and here we are are today with those decades shortened to years.

That's the problem with hackers changing peoples code ... done anonymously and false flags are abundant.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
ETO may have got it. Just tried to log on there and it wouldn't accept my log in. Will try again later.
I wouldn't.

If your passwords and usernames are the same across multiple sites, You might have just given someone your "master key." I would change all my passwords.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
There is a chance that if the site is hacked the have that info, wouldn't they?
Not necessarily. Passwords are usually stored in "hash tables". When you input your password, it goes through an "encryption" of sorts and the end result is compared to the result stored in the site database. The password itself isn't stored in the database.

However, if you input the password in a site form, at this point it could be intercepted.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
I new better, it looked to weird. I suspected it was a fake page right from the start.

At least I'm not using the same one on both sites now.

Edit: It wasn't a fake page, they just a new siteware.

Last edited:

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
My computer is hacked. It's attempting to sell me fake antivirus software. Ironically, it's a virus that's pretending to be an antivirus.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
If it's a windows machine, use a real antivirus to perform a full scan and if that fails a rollback a few days back usually works for me.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
My computer is hacked. It's attempting to sell me fake antivirus software. Ironically, it's a virus that's pretending to be an antivirus.
Last Night I put a New Password on my Computer, I opened it at least 4-5 times last night. Got up this morning and couldn't get in, I'm lucky my password is easily redone on a Mac.

However, I know there is a Virus that can attack a Mac by exploiting through browsers.

Not sure if it has anything to do with the Hacked sites or not, I didn't even attempt to log into ETO.

(Side note:)

Brownout, could you take a look at my Halloween Project, I need to hook up some capacitors and I'm not sure if I got it right?

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=88901

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I was wrong about ETO being hacked. They have changed to a new forum software is all. And when I tried to log in was during the change over. Don't much care for the new look, but what you going to do? Live with it.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
ETO is full of hacks.
Quite a few members frequent both ETO and AAC. I joined ETO in 2009, but have a total of slightly over 50 postings there ... as of today. So you know which one I frequent.

As far as the new look ... maybe it's to draw new membership. Who knows.