Hack or mod anything recently?

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
If you've ever hacked something to make it better/fix it or modified an existing component, or just done a really good job wiring something, but it didn't deserve it's own thread, post it here!

Personally, I just turned a 10 pole rotary switch into a 12 pole rotary switch and saved myself $2, all I had to do was a little bending of stops and cutting some metal to fit in the open slots.

Take that greedy manufacturers!!

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Well, I don't think it quite counts as a hack or a mod, but I'm working on a secret knock detector that senses a knock and unlocks a door if it's right. The original idea came from http://grathio.com/2009/11/secret_knock_detecting_door_lock/
The original uses an Arduino, but all I have is a PIC18F1330. Since the site gives the program for the Arduino, I though't I'd translate it to work with C18 and my 1330.
This project is helping me to learn about all sorts of things, including designing a PCB (which I had never done before):

So yeah, I'm pretty excited about it :D
Der Strom

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Don't spill the ferric chloride in your tub or sink if you plan to do it at home. It will stain any old porcelain surfaces, let alone your clothes.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
You have knock detectors In auto to pick up noise in your engine.
That If you have a auto with electronics.Have you compared the curcuits.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I recently found that Black&Decker 18 volt tool batteries have zero protection for the wall-wart transformer in their charger. The first time you plug in a really dead battery, the transformer melts. In addition, the wall-wart is rated at 2.1 amps and the steering diodes are 1n4007...1 amp. I added an LM338 TO-3 regulator to keep the current down to .9 amps, no matter how sick the battery is, and a LM317 voltage regulator set to the right voltage. It was 24.0 volts which ends up as 22.1 volts after the steering diodes and indicator LED. Now the charger charges batteries to the correct voltage and it is impossible to melt the charger or transformer.

Before that, I bought a 2011 electric start lawn mower with 4 cables controlling self-propel speed, engine spark, starter interlock, and an engine brake. Then I put the motor on a 1995 chassis with cast aluminum transmission instead of the self-destruct plastic transmission and eliminated all but one cable. Then I got into the 100ma, no voltage limit, battery charger and added a 78L12 set for 14.2 volts as both a current limiter and a float charger with proper voltage limit.

In between those two, I took my Water Boss water softener apart and flushed out the potassium permanganate that was turning harmless, water soluble, iron oxide into an insoluble form of iron oxide powder that gummed up the resin beads and plugged up the flow by 80%. I rinsed the iron oxide powder out of the resin beads, reassembled it, and no longer have a clogging problem or the usual 10 gallons of turbid water that it produced every time it regenerated...all for zero $.

What amazes me is that all of these projects were done from Feb to May of this year. I hadn't thought of how many improvements I had found time for.

ps, take that you greedy manufacturers!

Last edited:

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
I modified my lawnmower a while back.
Had this annoying button you had to hold down when you went in reverse, I got fed up with it and just cut the wires and shorted it.
Problem solved. :D

I also modified my mustang. It was making a warning dinging chime all the time and I couldn't figure out why so I just ripped the warning module out.
It's nice and quiet now ;)

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I was afraid that if I unplugged the dinger board the turn signals or something might stop working so I just jammed electricians putty in the dinger.

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
Nah, the electronics still all work, I can just drive around with the hood up doors open and seatbelt off and it won't make a sound :D

@georacer, would that translate to "hand hurts? Cut it off." ?

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Nah, I translated on purpose on bad English, since the original phrase is in bad Greek too, to emphasize on the uneducated therapist.

mbohuntr

Joined Apr 6, 2009
A friend asked me to look at a Craftsman 18v battery charger unit that stopped working. I figured "This ought to be within my capabilities..."
When I took it apart, It was only the fuse....:(
At least the owner is happy now...

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Ahh...good to know. Craftsperson much better tools than Blackendecker. Craftsperson tool has fuse!

(Is that 70's thing over where saying, "Craftsman" is sexist?)

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I would like to announce the grand re-opening of this thread for people who have actually hacked or modded something.

Thank you,

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Read post number 6.

If you don't read the posts or the title of the thread you can't know what the conversation is about.