h-bridge

z3ngew

Joined Apr 18, 2013
Hi everyone,
i have a problem, i have designed an h bridge circuit, and its working fine, but there is a problem that is the output current of the circuit is very low to make the motor turn, i need help!
take a look at the design in the attachments

Thanks in advance,
z3ngew

Attachments

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I think the current out of the opto-isolators will be very low. These devices are typically spec'ed by collector current forward gain, but as you have connected them in a CC configuration, you can't depend on the forward gain spec. You should do a detailed analysis on that part of the design.

z3ngew

Joined Apr 18, 2013
thanks for the reply, but if the opto-coupler output current is small but enough to switch on the bridge.
I can't see how this affect the bridge output current.
Please, provide me with more explanation.

Thanks in advance,
z3ngew

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
I think the current out of the opto-isolators will be very low. These devices are typically spec'ed by collector current forward gain, but as you have connected them in a CC configuration, you can't depend on the forward gain spec. ....................
Since the transistor is completely isolated in an opto-isolator, it makes no difference whether it is connected in a cc or ce emitter configuration, the gain is the same.

z3ngewz, what is the motor voltage and current?
What is the voltage from the MCU source.

z3ngew

Joined Apr 18, 2013
I am using a 40 pin microcontroller, each pin output volt will range from 3 to 5 volts.
I am using a 6v volt with load current 150 mA.

Thanks in advance,
z3ngew

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Since the transistor is completely isolated in an opto-isolator, it makes no difference whether it is connected in a cc or ce emitter configuration, the gain is the same.

z3ngewz, what is the motor voltage and current?
What is the voltage from the MCU source.
OK you got me there. However, the 10K resistor is still gonna kill his forward current. For example, if he is using 10V rails, the best he can get from the opto is ~900uA. The 2222 might bump that up a 100 or so, still not much current. I still say he should re-evaluate that part of the design.

z3ngew

Joined Apr 18, 2013
what you suggest i should do, i have tried to change the 10k ohm resistor at the base of the 2n2222 transistor with 330 ohm and 1k ohm, it is giving the same result, how can i troubleshoot this circuit?

thanks in advance,
z3ngew

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
thanks for the reply, but if the opto-coupler output current is small but enough to switch on the bridge.
I can't see how this affect the bridge output current.
Please, provide me with more explanation.

Thanks in advance,
z3ngew
Your bridge uses transistors. They need suffiient drive in the base to produce the current your motor requires. For example, if your motor requires 500mA and your transistors have a forward gain of 50, you'll need at least 500mA/50 = 10mA at the base. Just "turning on" the transistors isn't enough.

I made up these numbers, you need to know what your circuit requires and the parameters of your components, and then to the analysis for your circuit.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Where is the motor connected?
What is the voltage across the motor and the current through the motor when the bridge is ON?

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
what you suggest i should do, i have tried to change the 10k ohm resistor at the base of the 2n2222 transistor with 330 ohm and 1k ohm, it is giving the same result, how can i troubleshoot this circuit?

thanks in advance,
z3ngew
The 330ohm resistor sould have given you much more current. Time to break out the meter and start taking measurements, I think.