H-bridge

Dritech

Joined Sep 21, 2011
Hi all,

I am working on a project which involves moving a motor clockwise and counterclockwise. The motor is supplied by 12V and consumes approx 1.5A (maximum 3A when loaded). If i use the H-bridge in the attached picture, will it work fine? and will i need to use a heatsink?

Thanks.

Attachments

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Depending on how much current your motor actually consumes, you may not be able to get away with the small signal 1n4148 diodes as your flyback protection.

hgmjr

Dritech

Joined Sep 21, 2011
Hi,
Assuming the motor will not consume more than 3A, what diodes shell i use? and can i connect the base pins of the TIP directly to a PIC18F ?

Apart from the diodes, is the H-bridge circuit correct ? and will i need heat sink?

Thanks

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
You forgot to look at the datasheet for a TIP120 darlington transistor.

With a motor current of 3A then the maximum saturation voltage from collector to emitter for the bottom TIP120 is 2.0V.

If the top TIP120 has enough base voltage (it doesn't) then its emitter voltage will be a minimum of +3.0V due to its max collector to emitter saturation voltage of 2.0V.
Then the input to its base resistor must be about +8.5V for the motor to get only 1V.
But you don't have +8.5V, you have only about +4.5V to feed the base resistor.

You should use complementary logic-level Mosfets that have a very low voltage drop.

Attachments

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
The IRFZ44 should not be driven directly by logic-level ICs (including PICs) because they are standard level MOSFETs; Vgs needs to be 10v in order for the MOSFET to be considered fully turned ON, and have a low Rds(on). You need logic-level MOSFETs; with this type, Rds(on) is generally specified at both 4.5v and 10v instead of just 10v.

International Rectifier's standard level MOSFETs generally start with IRF, and their logic-level MOSFETs start with IRL. This is not true for ALL of their MOSFETs, but it is for the vast majority.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
What is the complementary P-channel Mosfets please?
We don't know what is available in your country. In North America EVERYTHING is available.

You must find a P-channel logic level Mosfet that has a suitable max voltage and suitable on-resistance that you need.

Dritech

Joined Sep 21, 2011
Hi,

We don't know what is available in your country. In North America EVERYTHING is available.
It is difficult to find certain electronic components in Malta, but i can order them from RS Malta and they will arrive within 3 days.