H-bridge to drive a linear actuator

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
That is a real nice part. It's probably ok as long as you monitor for over current from a stalled motor.

Dritech

Joined Sep 21, 2011
Hi, Thanks for the reply. So is this package more efficient when compared to using 4 mosfets ? How can I calculate the voltage drop please?

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
pretty good specs. You might find some a little better, but not much.

You can do the voltage drop based on the on resistance of the FET. So .009 ohms for 1 and .012 for the other. So at 50 amps you would loose 1.05 volts.

Gibson486

Joined Jul 20, 2012
I use that part. It is my go to part when prototyping. It is really robust. That said, it is not exactly readily available (I think it is obsolete soon) now and I am feeling the pain of finding a replacement because I used this on an actual design. BTW, the updated part is BTN, not BTS (BTS is already done...no more, while BTN is on its way out).

Dritech

Joined Sep 21, 2011
Hi, Thanks for the replies.

@ ronv, do you know the part number of the other bridge please?

@ Gibson486, unfortunately I did not know that there was an updated version. Yesterday I bought 2pcs BTS from Ebay. What is the main difference please? In the dataheets I cannot notice any differences.

Thanks in advance.

Gibson486

Joined Jul 20, 2012
Hi, Thanks for the replies.

@ ronv, do you know the part number of the other bridge please?

@ Gibson486, unfortunately I did not know that there was an updated version. Yesterday I bought 2pcs BTS from Ebay. What is the main difference please? In the dataheets I cannot notice any differences.

Thanks in advance.
Just from looking at the datasheet for 5 minutes, it looks like it may be the same pin for pin. So, they probably just made some improvements. The first one I see off the bat was that it can handle 40A and some of current instead of 42A on the BTN.

Dritech

Joined Sep 21, 2011
Hi again,

Regarding the BTS7960 H-bridge, in the datasheet application circuit there is no fly-back diodes. Is it necessary to include them when working with high current? Why it is not included in the datasheet schematic?

Thanks in advance.

Dritech

Joined Sep 21, 2011
In some H-bridge tutorials they sometimes recommend to use extra external diodes. Is this necessary or are the FET internal diodes safe enough?