H Bridge shoot through protection

davidhills

Joined Sep 14, 2008
Good Morning All

I am building a +/- 63volt square wave invertor for AC Tig welding from a high current DC 63volt supply.

I am using 4 x 100amp thyristor in an H Bridge, capacitively commutated by 4 mosfets.

Driving a Purely restrictive load.(I think arc is Purely restrictive)

I want to add some simple shoot through protection for the thyristors

Any ideas or options?

thanks David

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I'm curious as to how you plan on getting the thyristors to turn OFF once you have them turned ON?

Thyristors are really for use with switching AC, as they turn off automatically when the current flow through them drops below their threshold current. Since your supply is DC, you'll have to wait to switch polarities until the welder breaks the arc.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I'm curious as to how you plan on getting the thyristors to turn OFF once you have them turned ON?

Thyristors are really for use with switching AC, as they turn off automatically when the current flow through them drops below their threshold current. Since your supply is DC, you'll have to wait to switch polarities until the welder breaks the arc.
I think (from being a tig weldor) that his out put is AC. It is just a square wave instead of a sine wave. Quote the OP, "I am building a +/- 63volt square wave invertor".

Most tig welders use thyristors in them to do this.