H-Bridge Motor Control

sgardner025

Joined Nov 5, 2009
Hello, I am new on here. I've been trolling the forums for a while and this seems like a good place. I am working on a project for someone that needs forward and reverse with speed control for a 12V DC motor, which draws around 50A max. To me the HIP4081 seems like a good bridge driver to build around, I just wanted to hear any comments on this. I'm still thinking about what type of control circuitry to use on the inputs, but does the 4081 sound like a good choice here?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Hello, I am new on here. I've been trolling the forums for a while and this seems like a good place. I am working on a project for someone that needs forward and reverse with speed control for a 12V DC motor, which draws around 50A max. To me the HIP4081 seems like a good bridge driver to build around, I just wanted to hear any comments on this. I'm still thinking about what type of control circuitry to use on the inputs, but does the 4081 sound like a good choice here?
Posting a link to the datasheet would be helpful.

http://www.intersil.com/data/fn/fn3659.pdf

I have two words of advice.
1. Get the eval board listed in the datsheet if possible
2. When working with high current devices, make sure the dead time prevents high current flows

Be advised that many Intersil parts have gone quickly from available to, NRFND, to EOL, to pure unobtainium. If you decide to desing it in, you may want to consider a lifetime buy. Other than that if you can find the MOSFETS you require it should work, if 2.5A is enough to charge and discharge the gate of such a hefty part.

Last edited: