Guns

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
So I been looking apicking up a Ruger 10/77. This looks like the perfect varmant rifle to me. Shoots a 22 for target practice and you can just buy a new barrel that screws in and shoots the .17 HRM's. I'm really wanting a .17 HRM but I want to quickly be able to change to .22 for just shooting randomly for cheap. Does anyone have a 10/77 ,basically its just a 10-22 but bolt action and I prefer bolt action. I'm also looking for a 60's-80's russian armory stamped AK47 or 74 Their getting really hard to find now so if any of you gun nuts at the shows see one please get me contact info. I don't want a norinco, or any thing made in china, bulgaria, romania, etc... I want a real russian with milled reciever and not the newer stamped reciever. 5 years ago they were a dime a dozen running for $300-$500. No their just gone. So please keep me an eye out. I'm willing to pay $1000 with matching numbers. Also would love to hear reviews and any suggestions of anything I'm overlooking.

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
I have a 10/77 in the .22. Pretty dependable but have had some problems with the rotary clip fouling. I did pick up a Baretta 12gauge semi last year and am really thrilled with the smooth operation. The oldest daughter is completing her hunter training and I'm excited about bringing her along on a couple of hunting trips this fall. First things first though. I'm setting up a couple of hay bales later today to begin pre season bow practice.

Last edited:

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
I miss achery, had to give it up when back went out. At first I was all about compound bows, then when I got older I appreciated a good longbow and recurve. But I imagine I could find a crossbow with some sort of crank I could use.

Neil Groves

Joined Sep 14, 2011
I love it when the hunters become the hunted by the animals which they seek to kill, when they are mistakenly shot by fellow hunters, if i hunted i would hunt for trophy hunters and put their heads on the wall with a name plate, "this is dear **** who was stalking deer for fun".

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I love it when the hunters become the hunted by the animals which they seek to kill, when they are mistakenly shot by fellow hunters, if i hunted i would hunt for trophy hunters and put their heads on the wall with a name plate, "this is dear **** who was stalking deer for fun".
Lol, apply that logic to slaughter animals (pigs, cows, chickens, etc) too. Would you jump for joy if a ranch hand were accidentally killed in the killing stall? What if there were a field full of naked crawling humans, being herded into killing stalls, slaughtered, butchered, packaged, shipped, sold, cooked, and eaten? would that be a good thing in your eyes? Can you see yourself sitting at the table stuffing brazed free range dude loin in your mouth, saying "this **** was eating a t-bone for fun."

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
I agree, I only hunt humans these days. You know there are lots of us that like guns and archery and have no intentions of harming any animals at all.I don't care to hunt, if I lived in the deep woods and had to for my family that would be a different story, but I can fish if I need to. So your in the wrong thread if you wanna debate PETA stuff. Were pretty much target shooters with a couple hunters mixed in. We like the technology of the actual gun and how it works. Most of us could care less if we ever shot anything other then a peice of paper.

But I will agree I LMFAO wen Chainey shot his buddy with bird shot.

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
One of the greater debates. I've hunted most of my life. It hasn't come without moral challanges. It has provided for an interaction with nature that has produced a deep respect for life around me.

I too have reservations for those that use our wildlife as target practice. As there is no prequalifications for being a 'hunter', we are easily branded as killers without remorse, and it's difficult to defend at times when many are in fact, just that. One of the more disturbing developments is the 'long range' shooting that is being promoted by gun manufacturers.

I personally consume every animal I harvest. For me, it's a basic requirement of the relationship. Anyone anywhere contributes to the demise of an animal when they consume meat. Animal products are wide ranging.

Is the vegetarian free of guilt.They need to understand that many species have become extint or are on the edge of extinction due to our massive alteration of natural processes. The large imbalances that have been created by agriculture create conflict, with man and nature, and within nature itself. Invasive species compete, and vermin flourish.

Irregardless of what people think, the fact that they exsist, has precluded an animals opportunity to inhabit that same space, using the same resources for survival.

Neil Groves

Joined Sep 14, 2011
I was of course refering to trophy hunters as was specified in my post, i love a good steak or chicken dish as long as someone else kills the animal, i havn't the heart to do it myself unless i was absolutely starving and it was me or the animal concerned!

my beef is with trophy hunting, the sicko's that get pleasure from killing, in fact those folks are borderline sociopathic in my opinion and need psychiatric help.

Neil.

I was of course refering to trophy hunters as was specified in my post, i love a good steak or chicken dish as long as someone else kills the animal, i havn't the heart to do it myself unless i was absolutely starving and it was me or the animal concerned!

my beef is with trophy hunting, the sicko's that get pleasure from killing, in fact those folks are borderline sociopathic in my opinion and need psychiatric help.

Neil.
Neil, I have no trophy hunting in my past, and none planned ever, yet the fees paid that very category of hunters often adds up to the only funding that makes it possible for thousands of square miles of wilderness land to be reserved for wildlife, and not sold off to property developers.

Fee-hunting game ranches in Africa, for example, provide vital employment to local populations who would otherwise have no incentive to preserve wildlife, and would hunt or trap most all species to rapid extinction to feed their families, were it not for their steady incomes as game ranch employees.

Finally, animals that range free in game reserves live far more humane existences than does captive-bred livestock raised in crowded, stressful industrial farming operations that culminate in mechanized, conveyor-belt death and slaughter, in preparation for shipment fresh to your local butchers or supermarket meat department.

Big game or trophy hunters may seem cruel to animals, but that politically incorrect hobby is ironically one of the primary reasons that most of the still abundant wildlife on planet Earth has not been crowded into oblivion by urban sprawl in the West, out simply eaten into extinction by locals in developing nations.

Last edited:

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
I'm wondering if you would consider replacing the term 'trophy' with the term 'selective'. It has the same meaning, and covers whatever one considers a 'trophy'. What it does is nullify the stereotype of the insensitive animal killer, whom I can't classify as a hunter.

The maturation of a hunter is classically described. At some point, after gaining sufficient skills in stalking, they tend to become more selective in thier harvest. This reduces thier harvest numbers while increasing an awareness about thier prey. I personally have not harvested any big game in 3 years for two reasons. I have become much more selective, and I've converted to a more primitive method, being the bow. When rifling/shotgunning, I'll guide the younger, less experienced hunters through the process.

What about game or 'hunt' farms. I think there is a play on words here, and I don't consider a shooter to be a hunter. With wild and feral game being genetically breed to create 'trophies', I'm wondering how much different that is compared to a commercial domestic operation where all the stops are pulled out to aquire profitability. Thier 'trophies' are animals that gain proportionate wieght quickly with reduced resources.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
I don't trophy hunt, at most I'll kill an animal whne there is a ferril hog problem or a deer party where the deer are so populous if you don't kill 30% of the heard they will all starve. But I do understand big game trophy hunting. As said without it theres almost no protection for these species. I would not mind a law that you can only trophy hunt things you can eat though. I see no need to shoot lions and tigers. Elk, Antalope, and other edible exotics yes.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Sounds like some song lyrics I heard in Haight Ashbury in the 60's.