Guns

Status
Not open for further replies.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
You guys heard about the arms treaty rumored to be signed on the 27th? Supposedly supersedes or at least equal weight as the 2nd amendment. Could force gun registration or worse. All this is just what I've heard, from likely biased sources. I won't defend it, and I haven't done any research, but what I do know is that guns are selling like crazy. There's a gun show here every weekend for months. The scare of the treaty need not be your motivation to buy, but supply & demand might. Gun manufacturers are operating at max capacity, not even taking orders anymore. Limited supply, exponential increase in demand, = exponential increase in price. I'm going tomorrow to buy a couple while they are still "affordable".

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
This is just marketing hype. Did the Senate ratify the treaty? No. Well then it is irrelevant.
A treaty has no force of law -- it is just an agreement among the signatories. If you didn't sign it it it means nothing to you. Did the uneducated masses not pay attention in History and Government class?
I cannot believe you're falling for this crapola.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Did the uneducated masses not pay attention in History and Government class?
You know the answer to that question PapaBravo. It's a resounding "yes". As a signatory to the Geneva Convention, the U.S. applied that to everyone and not just other signatories. The U.S. is stupid when it does such a thing.

With a democrat controlled Senate, one would hope someone provides the necessary filabuster to kill any attempts that might erode the Constitution. Not that the Federal Government themselves hasn't eroded it enough.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Define,Treaty ,look up resolutions,treaties and other agreements between

countries and U.N. they are some form of law. A treaty wtih Mexico allows

uninspected trucks cross the border with no penalty.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
This is just marketing hype. Did the Senate ratify the treaty? No. Well then it is irrelevant.
A treaty has no force of law -- it is just an agreement among the signatories. If you didn't sign it it it means nothing to you. Did the uneducated masses not pay attention in History and Government class?
I cannot believe you're falling for this crapola.
Well the story as I understand it, is that they tried to run it through the senate and it was shot down, by 58 votes. So the President decided to just bypass that and sign it himself. No, I didn't pay attention in Government class. But the point I tried to make clear was that whether or not you believe in this "marketing hype" or not (I'm undecided) there are lots of people who do, and they are driving the cost of guns through the roof and making the guns themselves scarce to be had, so if you had any notion to buy one, you had better do it now while they are around and affordable. This treaty deal is not the only thing spurring a spike in gun sales; there is also growing concern among the uneducated masses about the economy and where it might be going. Guns sales were on the rise before the news of this treaty.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
That would be interesting if he did that before the election. The negative ads about him circumventing the constitutional duty of the U.S. Senate would fill the airwaves.

Now, he might sign an Executive Order making the Executive Department follow the unsigned treaty, but I doubt any Secretary would stand up and tell him. I seriously doubt the Attorney General will provide the requisite legal advice to him.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
It hasn't been drafted, nothing has come before the senate, and it takes a 2/3 affirmative vote to ratify any treaty. Hillary Clinton did not sign anything, and President Obama cannot "bypass" anything. People are only talking for the month of July at this point. All this hype is designed to get people riled up and it is just so much crap. The treaty is about arms sales between countries, and it has nothing to do with individuals inside the United States. So stop the lies and the misinformation already. It just makes Fox News, the NRA, and other alarmists seem ignorant beyond belief.

You guys wanted birth certificates -- so show me this !@#$%^&*() treaty you claim exists. I double dog dare you!!
And if you can't produce the treaty then shut your pieholes.
Show me where in the Federal Register this treaty was brought before the senate and voted down 58 to whatever. I triple dog dare you!!!
Put or shut up guys.

Last edited:

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
It hasn't been drafted, nothing has come before the senate, and it takes a 2/3 affirmative vote to ratify any treaty. Hillary Clinton did not sign anything, and President Obama cannot "bypass" anything. People are only talking for the month of July at this point. All this hype is designed to get people riled up and it is just so much crap. The treaty is about arms sales between countries, and it has nothing to do with individuals inside the United States. So stop the lies and the misinformation already. It just makes Fox News, the NRA, and other alarmists seem ignorant beyond belief.

You guys wanted birth certificates -- so show me this !@#$%^&*() treaty you claim exists. I double dog dare you!!
And if you can't produce the treaty then shut your pieholes.
Show me where in the Federal Register this treaty was brought before the senate and voted down 58 to whatever. I triple dog dare you!!!
Put or shut up guys.
jesus man, settle down. I've been purposely vague about the details of the treaty because I don't know the details of the treaty. "you guys", "you", WTF? When I did I say anything about a birth certificate? I won't be your straw man. I see now you've taken me for a conservative/republican and now bringing down the Liberal hammer on me. You're swinging at the wrong guy. I'm not Republican, Conservative, or an alarmist. The only thing I've expressed alarm about up til now is the fact that gun prices are skyrocketing, and they are.

What if I told you that you better go buy stock in oil because of skyrocketing prices due to speculation of a new OPEC treaty? What would call me then?

Last edited:

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
So stop the lies and the misinformation already.
This is particularly insulting. What lies and misinformation are you referring to? The part I prefaced with "Rumored", "supposedly", or "this is just what I've heard, from likely biased sources"?

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
You have become a source of information,don't get upset if we ask questions.

I had believed someone else was Irnoring the world,until you say something

differrent. I guess the cellar is not off limits,just what you say.

There's a got of light in the cellar(Off-Topic).

Don't take his remarks out of context,print the whole thing.

Last edited:

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
You have become a source of information,don't get upset if we ask questions.

I had believed someone else was Irnoring the world,until you say something

differrent. I guess the cellar is not off limits,just what you say.

There's a got of light in the cellar(Off-Topic).
The only information I'm providing is that guns are in growing demand, decreasing supply, and therefore growing price. I'm leaving it at that. I'll leave the nitpicking and the investigative journalism up to those who care about the reasons behind it.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
@ Stantor ,I said you were be quoted out context,print all your remarks,don't make

you sound like a bad guy.Don't give up so easy on the the debate.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
The problem is, a lot of this is propaganda aimed at the elections. It is why politics are not allowed here. This is politics, and disinformation, because the constitution trumps treaties, always. Only a constitutional amendment has the power to do what has been discussed here. There is no such thing in the works.

But it is a pretty blatant attempt to influence the upcoming elections with disinformtion. This makes it politics at its worst, IMO.

At the moment I am debating closing and possibly moderating this thread. We'll see, with the next couple of posts.

------------------------------

Well, the posts that decided came out before I posted this reply. Closing it is.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
BTW, for the record, I was not referring to anyone here, but there are plenty of other people in this country trying to use disinformation to influence how things are run.

Don't support them. Know your government, and how it works. You may not like it, but the system does work, and has some very firm rules with good checks and balances.

Status
Not open for further replies.