Guitar amp from old organ and amp

starvinmarvin

Joined Sep 29, 2013
Hi there, great that there are places like this here! I am working on a project to turn a salvaged yamaha electone b-6e and an old broken harmonix guitar amp into an guitar amp.

I have a vision, just not all the information I need to realize it. So far I have the amp unit, several boards, a pedal, a spring reverb unit, the original speaker and all the potis and switches from the organ, which I want to use for the amp. I reall like the bassy sound this combination makes.

Unfortunatly I cant find any schematics for the organ, so I guess I will have to find out what is what and how it works. Lets start with the amp.

I know the organ was 85W total, the speaker is 25w/8 ohm. It is in working condition, and cleaned. It has an american tone cab/recording socket, a line in cinch socket, one internal Output socket with 3 wires, and an internal vol input socket with 6 wires. Now I've tried everywhere, but I cant find schematics for this amp either. The board has "M-N7l", "Yamaha" and "LC0890" printed on it. The chassis is stamped with what seems to be "ND2012A"

My goal is to use the amp, the spring reverb and the speaker from the Electone, a delay from a Dr. Böhm organ, the tone control from the harmonix amp and put it all into one guitar amp chassis.

Any hints of what my first steps should be are welcome. My guess was to start with the amp and find out all I can, so I can find out where and how to integrate the effects and the tone control into the circuitry.

Im aware of the health risks, precautions will be taken. Thanks in advance for any productive advice.

Here are the links to some pictures:

http://picload.org/view/olcroda/2013-09-2921.22..jpg.htmlhttp://picload.org/view/olcrodl/2013-09-2921.23..jpg.htmlhttp://picload.org/view/olcrodi/2013-09-2921.24..jpg.htmlhttp://picload.org/view/olcroaa/2013-09-2921.25..jpg.htmlhttp://picload.org/view/olcroll/2013-09-2921.26..jpg.htmlhttp://picload.org/view/olcroli/2013-09-2921.27..jpg.html

Last edited:

tubeguy

Joined Nov 3, 2012
Very do-able. I recently made a practice amp from an old PA amp.

Please post more details on the harmonix amp. Model number etc..

starvinmarvin

Joined Sep 29, 2013
Its all in the original post:

Organ is Yamaha Electone B-6E

The pictures show the amp. The only information printed on the amp itself:

chassis: seems to read ND2012A
the circuit board is labeled: M-N7l, Yamaha, LC0890

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012
I just love the older electronics, most were built like tanks. One of my old keyboardists, did a project similar to this in the 70s. It was a very kick ass amp when he was done.
He was an expert with a Hammond B-3, and several Leslies.
It was all over my head, but his combination sounded great.

Wish I knew enough to lend a hand with this project.

tubeguy

Joined Nov 3, 2012
Its all in the original post:

Organ is Yamaha Electone B-6E

The pictures show the amp. The only information printed on the amp itself:

chassis: seems to read ND2012A
the circuit board is labeled: M-N7l, Yamaha, LC0890
Any info on the "harmonix" guitar amp ???
Is it elecrto-harmonix ? What model ?

starvinmarvin

Joined Sep 29, 2013
It is the Dave Matthew's Dirt Road Amp. But no problem here, since this part is fairly easy. My troubles lie with the Yamaha Electone and to find out more about the amp inside. I simply am not qualified enough to understand it just from the look of it.

Of course I could just plug in a guitar and play, but I would really love to incorporate the spring reverb and the tone control. For this to happen, I simply need to know more about the amp.

Any help or advice anyone???

absf

Joined Dec 29, 2010
How does a B-6E electone looks like? Was the main power amp. and power supply located at the bottom near to the expression padel? How many cards are there in the card cage?

I have BK5C and B6B manuals but they are in Japanese. The oscillators for the basic tomes are all using transistors.

Allen

starvinmarvin

Joined Sep 29, 2013
How does a B-6E electone looks like? Was the main power amp. and power supply located at the bottom near to the expression padel? How many cards are there in the card cage?

I have BK5C and B6B manuals but they are in Japanese. The oscillators for the basic tomes are all using transistors.

Allen
Yes, the amp unit was at the bottom next to the pedal and spring reverb. It has 8 cards total, most are labeled like this "RVA B-6E" for instance (I guess this could be the reverb).

The users guide is still available at yamaha, and describes all the inputs and outputs and effects.

Unfortunatly your models are both a few years younger or older, as you can see here: http://www.imoose.nl/electone/

Just so I understand: the power amp and sound amp are both in the same chassis, or not? The cards are the tone generator and effects and send their combined output down to the amps internal input socket. The Internal output socket then sends the amplified signal to the speaker. It looked like the spring from the reverb was connected between the output and the speaker, which would only make sense if the spring itself was separatly controlled by the reverb card. I also dont yet understand how the volume level was controlled, if directly via amp, or before the amp through one of the boards.

Please correct me if wrong.

starvinmarvin

Joined Sep 29, 2013
you may want to consider a pre amp to bring in a guitar.
I assumed the internal tone generator would not be much more powerful than a guitar, and if I just routed the guitar instead of the tone generator into the internal input line of the organ amp, it would be amplified to what the organ sounds were amplified to.

If I am mistaken, I could also use the electroharmonix board as preamp, which was build for guitars, and feed the output to the organ amp and its additional effects. In this case my guess is I would need two volume controls, for each amp one?

absf

Joined Dec 29, 2010
Yes, the amp unit was at the bottom next to the pedal and spring reverb. It has 8 cards total, most are labeled like this "RVA B-6E" for instance (I guess this could be the reverb).

The users guide is still available at yamaha, and describes all the inputs and outputs and effects.

Unfortunatly your models are both a few years younger or older, as you can see here: http://www.imoose.nl/electone/

Just so I understand: the power amp and sound amp are both in the same chassis, or not? The cards are the tone generator and effects and send their combined output down to the amps internal input socket. The Internal output socket then sends the amplified signal to the speaker. It looked like the spring from the reverb was connected between the output and the speaker, which would only make sense if the spring itself was separatly controlled by the reverb card. I also dont yet understand how the volume level was controlled, if directly via amp, or before the amp through one of the boards.

Please correct me if wrong.
The B6B only has 7 cards on the card cage so I guess its an ealier version of the B6 electone. I am uploading the service for your reference.

I once had a BK5C electone and I had no way to make it work, so I dismantled it and savage all the transistors for parts. There were so many of them, the 2SC458 filled up an ice cream box....:)

Allen

Attachments

starvinmarvin

Joined Sep 29, 2013
The B6B only has 7 cards on the card cage so I guess its an ealier version of the B6 electone. I am uploading the service for your reference.

I once had a BK5C electone and I had no way to make it work, so I dismantled it and savage all the transistors for parts. There were so many of them, the 2SC458 filled up an ice cream box....:)

Allen
Thank you very much!!! Though it has differences, it helps me a lot to understand how the electone organ used to work. This is a good starting point.